Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I've been having a strange problem with my Explorer the past few days. After I turn the steering wheel to full lock in either direction I lose my pedal within the next one or two pumps. As soon as the wheels are straight again I the pedal back and it stays up until I turn the wheel to full lock again. This only happens when I am turning sharp enough to get into or out of a parking stall. For those of you who aren't familiar with my truck it is a '92 with 6" Superlift and disc brakes in the rear. I just put the front axle back in but there have been no major changes to the suspension in nearly 7 years and no significant changes to the brakes in 5 years. The front brakes are in good condition and the rear brakes are brand new. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume the fluid level is good, of course.
The vacuum line to the booster is good as well?

Pedal gets soft only intermittantly?
I would suspect you are in need of a new master cylinder.

Do you lose the brakes totally?

Sounds to me like it could be a bad booster, but once the pedal goes to the floor it is common to lose the seals in the master, so you may need BOTH.
THis is after you check all 4 calipers and lines for leaks.
Is the fluid a good color?
Is thier oil or gas in the vacuum line?
Do you have any other run ability problems?

I agree, might be a caliper or master cylinder problem. You might try bleed all four to get and bubbles out.

Check your lines and hoses, you might be loosing fluid when making a hard turn due to crack/split in a line somewhere.

I've checked for vacuum leaks and everything is fine. I still have brakes even when the pedal goes to the floor.

booster might be but again if you pushed it to the floor the master may be blown too...
Junk yard time baby!
If you do a new master get the one for the rear discs, 95+
I replaced my master and booster with a booster form a 95 junked Explorer and a new master from Carquest, holy moly I got good brakes again! The disc brake master made all the difference, I had rear discs for 2 years with the drum master, and its night and day....

I agree, it sounds like something is stretching if it is only when you are turning. I would start at the front calipers and work my way back to the master cylinder.

You are also forgetting to mention that it was sitting for quite a long time ...something might be seized up because of that.

You put the AXLE back in? Check that some steering components aren't pinching a brake line somehow.

Back