Brake pedal sticking

MessiTom

Reaction score
City, State
central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer 2dr 4ltr 5spd
Hello.

My dad gave me his 99 explorer sport. It sat for a few years and has a few very minor easy fixes.

I wanted to ask about one of these problems though. The brake pedal wont return back "up" after being pressed. The pedal isnt mushy or going to the floor. I havent had a chance to even give this vehicle a look over yet. I was just trying to gather some initial thoughts. In a spin around the block the drivers side front squeeks like crazy during braking.

Iam really hoping this isnt a booster or master cylinder problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem in my F150, it was a bad booster...sorry.

Bill

probably the booster, but get the replacement booster with a new master cylinder just in case.

probably the booster, but get the replacement booster with a new master cylinder just in case.

+1 don't replace the booster without the master cylinder as well...one may have contributed to the demise of the other. Also, be cognizant of the push rod free play adjustment-very important, don't just gloss over the instructions that come with the booster

Bill

Thank you for the replies. Ugh This truck looks like it sat in salt for 3 years. it looks to need rotors all around and maybe calipers. The brake fluid is nearly black.

I just remembered something. The pedal dosent stick if the vehicle isnt moving.

Does that make a difference?

I just remembered something. The pedal dosent stick of the vehicle isnt moving.

Does that make a difference?

that says bad booster to me.

Darnit! lol ^

OK thanks again

It's always a good idea to flush out the brake fluid if a car has been sitting that long.
Flush and clean the calipers too.

Actually, it's a good idea to flush and replace the brake fluid periodically even if it's a daily driver.

I would have thought that the pedal sticking would mean the master cylinder needs cleaning out but as I've never experienced a bad booster I can't really say.

DOT3/4 brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years, but few people do this. I replace mine every time I do a brake job. While on the subject of doing brake jobs, you should open the bleeder valves before pushing the caliper pistons in. if you don't, you're just pushing a bunch of junk into your ABS module.

A Very good tip. Thank you. I do plan on replacing everything at the wheel ends first including the fluid

Did I mention rust? lol look at this rotor
IMAG3008_zps32f2e967.jpg

Can anyone tell me what years I could get a booster/cylinder from that match my 99?

99-01 are the same. Reman booster can be had for $60+ core, new master cylinder is around 60, you're going to pay $100 for a junkyard takeoff of dubious background...

Bill

Thank you all for this info! This is greatly appreciated.

Hello.

My dad gave me his 99 explorer sport. It sat for a few years and has a few very minor easy fixes.

I wanted to ask about one of these problems though. The brake pedal wont return back "up" after being pressed. The pedal isnt mushy or going to the floor. I havent had a chance to even give this vehicle a look over yet. I was just trying to gather some initial thoughts. In a spin around the block the drivers side front squeeks like crazy during braking.

Iam really hoping this isnt a booster or master cylinder problem.
I had that sticking problem , and the brakes would be smoking hot in minutes , it was the calipers stiking and I changed 2 front calipers and that fixed it

Back