Brake pedal stuck, car won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake pedal stuck, car won't start

gnomade

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, XLT
Ford 2017 xlt, battery is fine, all lights are working fine, never an issue starting the car.
This morning, the car didn't start, the brake pedal is stuck, remote start didn't work either. car is in park mode, and can't shift it to neutral even if I want to.
please help!
I had to leave to go to work. Any recommendations of what to try when I get back? car has 30,000 miles ( but over 3 year warranty)
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not sure if this will help but your Explorer has a Brake-Shift Interlock feature that when used will allow the transmission to be taken out of Park. See page 181 of the Manual in the Transmission. I'm guessing that you don't have push-button (keyless) start?

Peter

Thank you, glad to be here!
I do have keyless push button. I am going to read the manual on release from Park mode.
Something else someone suggested to me is to force push the brake pedal while pressing the start button. I am going to try it.

I called the dealership and they are suggesting I have a faulty ignition and need to tow it to them.... (that will be my last resort)

There is also the ability to start the vehicle using the slot in the center console but it also requires that the brake pedal be pressed. It is on page 165 in the Starting and Stopping the Engine chapter.

Peter

Thank you, glad to be here!
I do have keyless push button. I am going to read the manual on release from Park mode.
Something else someone suggested to me is to force push the brake pedal while pressing the start button. I am going to try it.

I called the dealership and they are suggesting I have a faulty ignition and need to tow it to them.... (that's will be my last resort)

Back