• Register Today It's free!

brake problem

mcG

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsauken, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
driving my 97 sport 4x4 in the snow today, in auto 4wd. i've driven many cars in the snow and haven't had a problem like this. when i stop at a stop sign, even when going slow, i get strong resistance from the brake pedal, it's almost as if it doesn't want me to push it down at all. maybe just the pads are bad, but anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear a slight hissing noise when you apply the pedal?

sound like vaccum assist is not working..

Robb said:
Jerking peddle? Like the ABS?

yeah it feels like the pedal is jerking around and i don't have any control. and i think i heard a small hissing noise.

there's no problem stopping on dry road it's just bad on snow / ice. i had a 97 firebird previously with ABS and it did the same thing, but it's happening a whole lot more on the explorer. also, do i have ABS?

mcG said:
there's no problem stopping on dry road it's just bad on snow / ice. i had a 97 firebird previously with ABS and it did the same thing, but it's happening a whole lot more on the explorer. also, do i have ABS?

It is defilently your ABS. And yes, you do have it. I actually felt it today as well while I was driving in the snow/ice we got today in virginia. It was the exact same feeling. I knew what it was, but I am sure it could be nerve racking if you didn't know what it was. Hope this helps!

-Drew

is it supposed to feel like that? because even driving very slowly and braking very slowly i slid through a couple stop signs. i know the tires are pretty bad and i'm going to replace them, but i think there might be something wrong with the ABS itself.

Your stopping distance would be worse if the ABS wasn't kicking in. You are driving a heavy SUV now, they don't stop easily.

If you are driving in the snow, and you know you need new tires, PLEASE go get some!

Back