brake problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake problems

dieselhp07

Reaction score
City, State
Tecas
Year, Model & Trim Level
got a 2001 ford explorer. 2wd, xlt, v8. while back mt other half got a rock in behind the brake rotor and brake cover. in process of finding it i noticed the wheel bearings were out. so replaced them then my abs light come on. so i figured the collector ring got some grease on it or something. so disassembled again and clean and inspected. light went off. then now my brake pedal started pulsating. took it to a tech. with a scanner said my right front abs sensor is not reading correctly. changed sensor. nothing changed. never had the problem until that little pebble got in there. any help sure would be appreciated. thanks

Have you checked your brake fluid? I've had a situation where the brake fluid level was a little low and the light would go on whenever I went over a bump. Just an idea.

Does the replacement brake rotor have the tone ring on it? I've seen them missing tone rings before, right out of the box. It happens (despite the fact that 4 wheel ABS was standard on the Explorers).

Just because the sensor isn't reading properly doesn't mean it's bad. It could be good, just not getting power, or a broken wire elsewhere could be preventing the ABS control module from receiving the proper signals, or if, for example, there is no tone ring on the rotor, it's not going to get a signal at all and make the system think a front wheel is always locked.

That's why there's a diagnostic procedure to follow.

Now, by pulsing, do you mean that the pedal pulses in time with the wheel going round and round (ie it pulses slower as the truck slows down) or is it the ABS cycling? The difference should be pretty clear-cut.

just be warned...do not dent the tone ring....like I did...or your abs will not function correctly

took me a while to figure that one out

Back