brake questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake questions

1st Gen brakes are bad enough when they work, but purposely driving on public streets without rear brakes is extremely unwise and negligent. As it stands now if the front brakes where to suddenly fail how would you safely stop the vehicle? I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near someone with a brake system that bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What if you slide past a stop sign into an intersection?

What if a meteor hits earth? lol. Sorry this thread is a bit off topic , as soo as I can get new brake line I shall return to the thread to update and if I need help installing them , although I think it just requires some wrenches to attach the cables and then bleeding them?

As you can see, we are telling you, you CAN'T get away with front brakes. Not on the street, not on a trail. The only way it's acceptable is to putter around to move it from one spot to another on your property.

your safety and others demand that you fix the rear brakes also not later but now before you drive it again ever. The life you save may just be your own. We may be harsh on this point but that’s only because we may also be on the same trail or road with you or maybe our kids are. Between a junk yard parts pull and or buying parts you will not be into it much compared to a law suit if you do not stop in time once.

This is a major safety issue.

If you cannot afford to repair your vehicle, don't drive it. Owning a vehicle is a responsibility, you can hurt people when you are driving a poorly maintained or unsafe vehicle. Just watch what the insurance company and law enforcement says when they are checking out your vehicle after an accident and see that the rear brakes are disabled. Sure, you can drive it like it is, but it isn't safe for you or anyone else. Yeah yeah, you can say you are a good driver, you got it handled, it is just a beater, or you are fine, but no. There is a reason vehicles are designed with brakes on all four wheels. Please, do yourself and everyone on the road a favor and fix them.

Don't be stupid and try to get away with only front brakes, it's unsafe, and not worth your life or someone else's, and definitely for for the few dollars it would cost to have done it right.

NEED WE SAY MORE!
If you do not care about your life that’s fine. But what about that family on the road with you? What about that Father or Mother also trying to get to work to take care of a family?

My posting to help you keep this truck running has ended as I was lead to believe all you wanted to do was move it around on your own property!

Sorry but I would like to keep this as a repair thread for the brakes , as opposed to simply being a thread that points out how I don't make enough money to have a safe car.

As soon as I can I will post updates on if I have the parts and need help installing them.

Please read this

OneLever said:
What if you slide past a stop sign into an intersection?
...What if a meteor hits earth? lol. Sorry this thread is a bit off topic

... I almost ran into my garage wall trying to use the stupid e-brake lol.

You admitted yourself it's hard to stop this thing.

... a thread that points out how I don't make enough money to have a safe car.

I just got another 94 explorer limited for 300$ , yea 300$.

So you can spend $300 on something but you can't afford $50 brake lines to drive safely? If you have to, sell the jeep or sell the explorer. You can get the money to make one of them run right.

Until my other car is working I'm stuck with it basically. lol. Can't ride a bicycle to work lol

I have walked to work several times because my truck was in pieces in the driveway. Not fun getting up an hour early but it can be done.

Ok rather then just guessing , I'm going to just upload a bunch of pics of the situation and have you guys analyze what it is I need to do and buy.

We don't mind helping people get their stuff running again. In fact, most of the posts on here are people asking for help and then disappearing without a thank you. The busted lines you showed can be fixed, and it doesn't look like a hard job.

Every post in this thread has been people telling you it is not safe to drive a truck without working brakes. We care about you not hurting yourself and the people you drive next to. It takes a big man to admit he's wrong, but we respect people with courage.

As a temporary measure, you can cut your brake lines back a little way from where they were broken apart, then flare them, put a union in and just ad new brake line to fill the gap. I know you don't want to be harassed about how bad it is to drive that way, or how if you can't afford to fix it you shouldn't drive it. You also have to remember, there are other people on the road, and I would hate to be on the road with my three children driving around and meet someone on the road with a large heavy vehicle and less than half of the braking power it normally has. What if I was walking across a street? Just think, me carrying a 15 month old with a 4 year old and 7 year old following closely on my heels as we cross at a walk signal. Then here you come, less than half your braking power, half of your normal braking traction. The road is a little slick, I mean, it is getting to be that time of year. Oh crap, you just killed or seriously maimed a single father and his three small children.

You are in Wisconsin..... You know what winter means.... How many vehicles do you have? How many do you need? Maybe it would be better to dump one or two to make one good running vehicle? Plus, DeRocha is right, the brakes on a first gen aren't really wonderful to begin with, why would you even consider getting into a vehicle that has less than half the stopping power?

I am not trying to patronize you either. I am poor right now myself. I worked for years as a mechanic, then on a farm, and I used to make decent money. A couple years ago I went back to school, meaning I was down to working only part time. Then I got divorced, meaning I am the only one in the house to care for children limiting my schedule. I barely get anything for child support if I get it at all, and I haven't been able to find work since February. I live off my student loans and the few odd jobs I can find, but I make sure that what I do drive is safe. Right now, the kids and I walk everywhere because the engine in my 96 Continental blew and my Explorer has one bad axle shaft, it sucks, but it is better than putting my family or anyone else in danger. You know what though? I can put up with it till I can afford to buy an axle shaft, bearing, seal and oil, then I'll find myself a ride to go the 26 miles to the next town so that I can rent a bearing puller and slide hammer. You know what though? I bet you will have an easier time coming up with 50 bucks for brake lines and 5 bucks for brake fluid, so, if you try, you could be on the road before I am. If nothing else, you can do like I do, look on the bright side, gas mileage sucks in an explorer, so think of the money you would be saving.

Find ; I love how you worded your post and also added in how to fix it cheap to boot.
I am also in about the same boat I live on social security disability income alone and a tiny bit that left from my wife going to collage with student aid.
Yuppers many of us out here are not well off also.

I also have been known to ride a bike over 16 miles each way to work when my truck was down tell I could fix it .
Let me tell you that will also help you find the ways to get it fix and fix right faster then any thing when your old and out of shape (I was 40 then and not disabled yet)

in my post at the start to you I tried to give you the poor mans way to fix it basically use as many junk yard parts as you can rebuild what you can and then buy what’s left.

I bet to there are people you know that would even loan you the money if they knew what your doing people like mom and dad come to mind hint hint.

Deamon3, I'll admit that there have been times when I have driven the explorer in less than average shape. Fortunately, I live a mile from my work, so I have had on several occasions walked to work and back because my truck was in pieces or it was unsafe to drive. Please, do not make the mistake of cutting corners where safety is concerned. A little exercise or riding in a carpool to get work is a much smarter decision. Thanks.

Back