Brake Rotor Wear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thaas1996

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4wd
I just replaced my front Rotors and Pads yesterday, as well as a caliper and hose on my passenger side. On the passenger side, the front side of the rotor was as thin as a piece of paper. I had it looked at and was told to replace it. I replaced them, and I just looked at the rotor, and noticed a very deep groove in it already, on the top, close to where the rotor mounts to the lug screws. The driver side rotor doesn't have this groove, so I am very concerned. Is it supposed to do this?

Yes, if it's a very deep groove. Only way of knowing is removing the parts. Make sure the caliper anchor plate bolts are
torqued to the 72-97 ft/lb. spec and the brake hardware and stainless clips are installed properly in the caliper bracket.

Yes, if it's a very deep groove. Only way of knowing is removing the parts. Make sure the caliper anchor plate bolts are
torqued to the 72-97 ft/lb. spec and the brake hardware and stainless clips are installed properly in the caliper bracket.

agreed. if something is cutting a grove in your new rotor, take things apart and see what's rubbing/cutting into it. I once saw a brake pad that somehow got a broken piece of a bolt embedded in it. cut into the rotor big time. I don't know if this was something from the road or from the manufacturing process.

Back