Brake Rotors or Wheel Bearing?

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi all,
Lately my Explorer has kept be fairly busy fixing things....
I have been getting a Roaring noise while i am driving. the noise if very audible at 30-40kms and then sort of remains the same or the engine noise takes over it at higher speeds....
i can also feel some vibration or sort of humming feel in the gas pedal as well. A little google search has led me to believe it either the Brake rotors or wheel bearing which gives these symptoms..
My dealer had mentioned that i do need a Brake rotor change as the front ones are in bad shape but can this be the cause for the sound while accelerating? or it only makes noise when i brake?
and then i tried to turn the car left and right at high speed, the noise doesn't seem to increase or decrease and remains the same...

Figured this post was as good as any to bump rather than starting a new thread: I'm beginning to think Ford has issues with wheel bearings on the vehicles, and as an example, my '14 Sport has needed two new ones with just around 25,000 miles on it. The roar is noticeable for sure, and in my case it was easy to tell the front right one was the issue at first. About 1,000 miles later, it was the right rear, which unfortunately necessitated a new hub. Not to worry since the Powertrain warranty covered it, but needing two wheel bearings with such low miles is definitely not common.

Brake rotors only typically cause a pulsing sensation, and only when braking. Sounds like wheel bearings to me.

^^^ agree!

Back