• Register Today It's free!

brake rotors question

ivanthieme

Reaction score
City, State
plano, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Hey guys, new guy here, I own a 00 ranger (basic 4 banger single cab) and I'm in the middle of my front brake job here and I cant get the mutha####ing front rotors off, from what I found (thru search) you just bang the crap out of your rotors until they fall off. I already got the pads, calipers and caliper brackets off but the rotor wont budge??? :(

am I right or what am I missing here???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you remove the caliper bracket and the little lock washers on the wheel studs? Try hammering on the caliper with a hammer (not on the disc) section but rather where it mounts to the hub.

Here's what I have removed so far:
center caps
lug nuts
wheels
calipers (2 bolts)
pads
caliper brackets (2 bolts)

I dont see the locking washers you're talking about (or dont know how they look like hehe)

and a couple pics of what I have right now
passanger side
PICT0443.jpg

driver's side
PICT0442.jpg

I sprayed a bunch of wd40 on the back in between rotors + spindle to see if it'll help :hammer:

Get rid of that rubber mallet and use a real hammer. Just pound on the rotor everywhere except the disc section.

allrightttt now that was stoooopud i got it off, all i had to do was remove the lil nut right there. on my nissan you just hammer the crap out of them till they fall off

i gave up on the rubber mallet a long time ago hehehe
hes just sitting there as the BFH replaced him

yeah ... you are 2wd. on 4wd vehicles we have a bearing unit and the rotor slips onto the hub shaft... on your vehicle you have inner and outer bearings that are held together by that nut..... take care on how tight you get that nut and make sure you have plenty of grease inside and that the rear seal is good..... if youve hammered the crap out of the rotors they need to be replaced i wouldnt even turn them.....

Back