brake rotors....regular or slotted ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake rotors....regular or slotted ?

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
I need to replace my front rotors and am considering slotted....but they are quite a bit more $$$...so are they worth the extra dough or are quality standard rotors "good enough" ?
(also, do they need to be done in sets of 4..my rears are still in good shape)

thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know too, I've got to replace them (and pads) in about 15k.

Just get regulars, you're Explorer isn't a race car.

BradE. wrote:
Just get regulars, you're Explorer isn't a race car.

If it were a completely stock, unmodified X, then I would agree that regulars are adequate.

However, it really depends on individual circumstances. For example, I've got a 4" lift and 33 SSRs. My truck isn't a race car either, but I could really use extra stopping power due to the added weight and rolling mass. So, next time I need new brakes / rotors, etc., I'm going to upgrade. Additionally, I'm soon going to put in a doubler that will give me a final low gear ration of 6.25: 1 low. Between the tires and that super-low gearing, I'll definitely need the extra stopping power, not just on the highway, but also on the trails.

I'd also recommend an upgrade if you put a lot more power under the hood...

I have Power Slot rotors on my '99 and they work great. I would never go back to stock ones.

It's a matter of preference...while yes, your Ex is not a race car, the stock brakes are what I would call "just adequate" for a 4000+ lb vehicle. I like to overbuild everything, so I've got a set of slotted's sitting in my store-room waiting for my OEM rotors to finally wear out. If you tow, or weigh more, and especially if you go in mountains, the slotted might be of use to you.

Slotteds help. But a *major* brake upgrade would be to use 2-piston calipers, larger rotor, etc. or something like that...but all of that would require re-working the master cyl and possibly proportioning valve, etc. and that's lots of $$$$.

Rhett, and aldive, would you say the slotted ones give youthe impression that you feel safer knowing you can stop a little faster? Would you guys also say they last longer?

You could move up to 12" rotors from a new style Sport. They are a little bigger than the stock ones you have now.

If you can lock the brakes into abs mode with a stock setup then how will something else stop you any better or quicker? You are limmited at the point abs kicks in.

Interstate said:
Rhett, and aldive, would you say the slotted ones give youthe impression that you feel safer knowing you can stop a little faster? Would you guys also say they last longer?

Heck, I got that impression when I simply installed Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads.

My slotted rotors have been sitting in my storage room for about a year now. When my OEM rotors finally wear out, I'll be installing them. Not until then unless I run out of things to do to my truck in the meantime...

smiley1 said:
If you can lock the brakes into abs mode with a stock setup then how will something else stop you any better or quicker? You are limmited at the point abs kicks in.

Well, some people have larger 33" wheel/tire combos which require more power to stop. I was kinda wondering if someone used stock brakes with larger wheels and then upgraded their brakes.

The other option is people with street X's (which I want to do); ones with low-profile wheels/tires that are much wider and stickier than stock tires. Which, with more braking power and traction, one could stop faster.

Bigger Brakes

I have 18's that weigh 71.5 to 72 pounds. I can mash the brakes now, and the ABS doesn't kick in. The stock brakes are just adequate, which is how Ford builds most of their vehicles.

I have EBC spotfaced rotors, and their pads. They work great, and have 39k on them so far. When I finish my current project, I will be hunting some four piston calipers, and mounting them on Cobra rotors. I have the rotors already modified($42), and I am leaning towards factory Corvette calipers.

Buy the best brakes that you can afford!!
Don W

Back