• Register Today It's free!

Brake Rotors

playtilithrtz

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I bought new rims 22's a few months ago, and really need to upgrade my rotors, and calipers. I know that im just going to piant the calipers, but the rotors, i really want some drilled and slotted rotors, mostly for astetics, cause i have such large spaceing in between the spokes.

Well i was looking on ebay for rotors, and found they have drilled rotors for about $200-250 for all 4 rotors. I forgot the make of them, but has anyone here tried using them, or have heard anything about these rotors? please let me know. Also i it is time for the rotors to be changed anyways, cause they are groved pretty damn bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine from R1Concepts on Ebay....
So far I put the rear ones in with some new ceramic pads (ProStop) and they are GREAT! Already just with the rears I can feel the difference in breaking. They are not overkill with tons of holes.

With your big upgrade you should go to larger rotors since you just increased your rolling forces that the bigger diameter wheels will add, unless you stayed within the stock tire size and have low profile tires.

I haven't gotten the front ones in yet, because they sent the wrongs ones. BUT i have to say without a question they are shipping me the right set and mailed me a return label for the wrong ones.

Attachments

• DSCF3077.jpg
    DSCF3077.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCF3078.jpg
    DSCF3078.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 506

thanx for the post... I mayconsider doing this... Now I have to way my options of this or going with some larger rotors, and brakes, but Im not to sure that i want to spend all that money on brakes. I know its worth it, but i cant swing it.

BTW trucku I live in valley stream right on the boarder of queens, we're practically neighbors.

I have the R1's as well. You will be fine with them, I wouldn't go bigger. The stopping power is much greater with these over stock

does anyone know if the front rotors are the same as the rear rotors. I need to change my fronts, but was wondering if the rear are the same so i can do a quick fix until i buy new rotors.

No.....the rears have a hub made on the back of them to go over the emergency brakes. They are completely different

Get some good brake pads to compliment the slotted and drilled rotors. Don't get something harsh that will just chew them up. My ProStop Ceramic pads were just over $100 for front and back pads, from PepBoys.
Follow the seating instructions that come with the pads.

i have bed experiences with Pepboys, even though i used to work at one. I found that the Prostop pads sucked when i had them on my older explorer, i ate right through them, and then when i bought my 04 tiburon i put a new set of those and blew through those quite fast. Im gonna order some really good pads when i get the money for them

were they ceramic pads?

yeah i had my issues with them too, but they are right around the corner from me. So if my truck is up on a jack stand I can have my wife watch the truck while I walk over.

Funny I got my ProStop pads after watching the a special on the facility on Two Guys Garage. I was pretty impressed with the way they quality check and test the pads.

were they ceramic pads?

yeah i had my issues with them too, but they are right around the corner from me. So if my truck is up on a jack stand I can have my wife watch the truck while I walk over.

Funny I got my ProStop pads after watching the a special on the facility on Two Guys Garage. I was pretty impressed with the way they quality check and test the pads.

yes they where ceramic pads, and on both cars and it seems like they just sucked. I'm gonna fbuy some good ones soon.

hmm maybe they are very soft pads. I will see how these perform. Hope they last longer than yours. I won't mind if they go for just a year, as long as my rotor doesn't get chewed up.

maybe, but i have no Idea.

BTW i was wondering Trucku, if you noticed a difference by taking out those fins in the TB?

maybe, but i have no Idea.

BTW i was wondering Trucku, if you noticed a difference by taking out those fins in the TB?

First think is the noticeable "whoosh" that I hear with hood up now when I depress the pedal.

You know it feels like its responding quicker, but that can just be me over observing.

I can gain gain some more millimeters when I cut the shaft later on. The specs now is about (no caliper to measure) 63mm x 10mm . So lets say I cut
the shaft of one side of the throttle plate/butterfly and gain lets say about 1/3 of the total area it would be (63mm x (3mmshy of 1/3 total area)) 189 square mm of air volume gained .

I will do a mpg test (the way it is now) on highway run this weekend on the HOV lane going to Long Island. Going and coming from upstate I was getting 19mpg highway.

I think this will benefit the overall flow when engine is in a moderate to high demand and constant speed. I don't know yet so will see this weekend.
I would be happy with .5mpg extra.....lol

I have to say they occupied a good space and just the flat face of it was no conducive to help flow. It was like having a 11mm x 12mm square block sitting in the throttle body. I originally was going to attempt to file the leading and following edges to a point, but saw it would be almost pointless to try.

the only way to try is driving, so i guess you'll see after your trip.

Does anyone have pics of the rotors from R1? I got mine in from them and went to change them today and they're a LOT thinner... they also sent me the wrong pads (@($&@$(@!!!)

With them being so much thinner, I'm worried that the pads will almost fall out of the metal side clips in the caliper...

Did they send me the wrong ones or will these be OK?

Attachments

• rotors.jpg
    rotors.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 416
  • rotors2.jpg
    rotors2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 392

the ones they sent are for the rear with a parking drum.
the front ones are veined without the parking drum.
Your changing your fronts right?

The ones they sent are for the back.

There customer service is great though. Someone is dropping the ball there. The guy apologized for it.

the ones they sent are for the rear with a parking drum.
the front ones are veined without the parking drum.

So they sent me the wrong ones too?

I got the 4 wheel set. both have the drum look, but they are a bit diff.

None of them have the vents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

really then it seems they sent 4 rear rotors with drum hats in them.

call them they will ship out new ones and send you a return receipt. CALL them dont email, they never respond.

make sure you tell the guy like 5 times everything you think he needs to know to get your order right.

model, year, make, how many doors, SAY NOT SPORT OR SPORT TRACK if its not. tell them what rotors you have etc. I did that like 8 times. and it seems they have had machining and shipping issues. Again customer service was more than happy to help, but i had 4 pairs of rotors in my house from this issue with them. 8 rotors that I could not use. I emailed them form this site and their site. I emailed the guys i talked to with pictures. Oh yeah send them pictures ask for the reps email. BUT no email has ever been answered. i just sent the pics for proof

I don't get it. My rear set they sent were perfect. I mean perfect and after that a disaster.

Good Luck .

I just got my last set for the fronts 4time around week ago and I am not happy with them. the right rotor has pit marks in a number of areas. looks like tool bit dropped in wrong spots. I am pissed and tired of it. I think by now they should have compensated me for this ordeal. Its been months.

Back