Brake Splash Shield/Dust Shield advise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Splash Shield/Dust Shield advise

cmcdonald74

Reaction score
City, State
bobo, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello,

I have a 2002 explorer 2WD. I recently removed the splash shield/dust shield from behind the drivers side front brake disc. After 100,000 miles its has become mangled and banged up and was scraping against the wheel.

From what I have seen, this part is about $25 (on newfordparts.com). Is this necessary to replace? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would replace it. It isn't just a dust sheild to keep your wheels clean, (as a matter of fact, this part doesnt even do that too well) it stops all kinds of junk from getting in the back of your rotor, or between your caliper and your rotor. Just think how much fun it will be to stop if that happens to you. For $25 its cheap enough insurance.

not optional . . .as noted above.

yeah, I agree. It's there for a reason. One of which, which no one mentioned yet, is that it likely also helps to cool the brakes by playing a part in directing under vehicle airflow to the right spot. No, it's certainly not a NACA duct, but I suspect it does play a part.

Hey I got the replacement splash shield and it came with three hammer-in rivet type things. Wonder if there would be any reason I couldn't replace these with bolts?

Back