Brake switch throw CEL? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake switch throw CEL?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
So I was driving back to school today, and the entire time the ride seemed pretty rough (but it was also very windy and i was being pushed all over the road at 90mph - so it couldve just been the wind) all of a sudden, my CEL goes on, so I pull over asap. Checked under the hood, and I smelled burning rubber/plastic. I looked around and nothing looked amiss, except I noticed the connector for the brake fluid level was not connected. Looking a little further, I found it sitting on the header and it was all melted. Would this throw a CEL? I thought it would just light my "brake (!)" light, but my light has never gone on (even with the ebrake on) so i think it might be burned out. Would it throw a CEL as well? CEL is gone now, and I tucked the wires back around the MC. I have a code scanner, but I can never make sense of what the beeps mean in terms of codes, do you guys think this was the problem? Or would it be something else? (I'm kinda worried cuz I just changed my oil, and while doing so, I broke the plastic washer on the oil drain plug, so I just removed the washer and torqued it down. I just dont want to find one day I'm running with no oil cuz its all leaked out)

I dunno if that would cause the CEL to go on, but if it went off, u should be good to go after fixing what u did. Also, check ur oil gauge w/ no washer on. It should be fine as long as its tight, but just keep an eye on it.

Pull the code stored in memory, fix the connector, reset battery.
Since the light went off when you removed the short I would say they are connected, but you can pull the code to confirm.
The BOO circuit (brake on off) is part of the PCM wiring which would set a CEL, but the brake level sensor illuminates the instrument cluster light, but I dont have alot of experience with the 4wd ABS systems on the Gen II's so I cant say for sure.

Back