brake/turn signal idea! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake/turn signal idea!

Holy crap i've seen the light!
not really but i did get a really good idea.

I have clear tails on my 92 explorer and at night when other cars headlights hit the clear tails all that they see is a little red dot.

heres my idea.......
buy 2 little square marker lights from wal-mart *bout 2 bucks each* they house 194 bulbs and put clear lenses on them and throw my 194 red leds in them. And mount them under the rear bumper. Then wire them some way, not sure which way i'd prefer, to light up with brake or turn signals or parking lights......not sure which i can do in or in what combo......

sound like a good idea?
love to hear input.

thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go for it.....

Here's what I had planned to do if I ever got clears:

Go to your local Rice Shop, Autozone, PepBoys, wherever and get 6" Red Neon tubes. Then somehow by drilling a small hole for the wires and place them in the lense and wire clip them to the parking/tail lights wire. Then silicone them in place and the hole. Then when you turn your lights on the Neon comes on and lights up the entire housing. Then when you use your turn signals it will have the Neon and your tail light bulbs. So it will be nice and BRIGHT RED! I just hope I get to try this with a set on mine someday! I hope this helps someone.:cool:

Maybe a 4" neon. How would you see it in mid day? You can't see a neon lit in the middle of the day.

Well, It is more light, not brighter, just more light in the housing that is red.

:rolleyes::confused: These might be the reason that clear tail lights are illegal! :confused::rolleyes:

done and done, did my install today looks very good.....and they light up for brake and turn signals.........i didn't know they were the brake lights until i was driving around later in the night,, what a good suprise..

i'll post some pictures when i get ahold of a digital cam

Did you get a camera? I would like to see this, as I have a similar idea.

Just realized the date on that. haha my bad

lol, brought back a 7 year old ancient post, congrats! lol, but Id like to see too if your still around

same

Back