rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Just wondering if I ought to go with a new 84 B11 master cylinder and booster or go with another direct bolt in like an X or F150 that might be a little larger in the booster if in fact they do bolt right in? In the B11 now I have a first gen. X axel up front and back. Plus a lot of weight has been removed so do I need larger master cylinder and boost anyway? Also I would like to upgrade to disc brakes later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rookieshooter said:
Just wondering if I ought to go with a new 84 B11 master cylinder and booster or go with another direct bolt in like an X or F150 that might be a little larger in the booster if in fact they do bolt right in? In the B11 now I have a first gen. X axel up front and back. Plus a lot of weight has been removed so do I need larger master cylinder and boost anyway? Also I would like to upgrade to disc brakes later.

As it sit's I'd leave the stock brake booster. You've removed a heck of a lot of the truck there so you should see improved braking performance.

I'd recommend swapping in a larger booster once you do the the disc conversion.

CBII said:
As it sit's I'd leave the stock brake booster. You've removed a heck of a lot of the truck there so you should see improved braking performance.

I'd recommend swapping in a larger booster once you do the the disc conversion.

That's what I thought. I would think that the weight difference would be like having more brakes. I'll just add the new brake master cylinder for now. Leave the booster later after getting discs. Thanks

BTW, I believe that the 95-01 Explorers have a very "big" master cylinder stock. Meaning that there is a high level of pressure in the design, to work with the two piston(1.75") calipers. Those 4dr master cylinders are the top level of choice. I personally have slightly too much brake pressure right now.

I'm pondering if there is a larger piston in the 2dr. Explorer master cylinders. That larger piston equates to lower brake fluid pressure. I can leave rubber with my brakes now, with my 72.5lbs 18's. Good luck,

I got to a admitt, this brake thing with booster, piston sizes, master cylinder not mentioning porportioning valve is a gray area for me. I'll first see how it does with the Exploder front discs and drum brakes in the back before even thinking of discs. I surly don't want the brakes to start locking up with the slightest amount of rain on the road. I had a Toyota LC that did that. Not good

Yeah, my hint was that maybe the Sport master cylinder may be what you end up needing. Any brake system is a balance of those pressure dimension parts. The rotors are notoriously small, so the fluid pressure has to be higher to apply more force to the smaller rotor.

BTW, Ryan has eveidently put together some 13" rotors for the 1st gen. trucks. You might ask him(Spdrcer34) how that is working out. Regards,

Most Bronco II's came with the large style booster, the same that was used through 2001 at least in the Explorer, if your BII has the small booster then upgrade it! (it might the 84-85 were smaller). Any Explorer/Ranger?BII with the larger booster will work for a donor.
The 95 Explorer master cylinder is the one you want for the dana 35 ttb and the disc brake 8.8. When buying it just tell them no proportioning, no sensors, etc in the master, the computer prompts them to ask you these things, even though the 95 with 4w abs all use the same master cyl...

You will have to replace the hard line running to the frame and back to your rear axle in order to accomodate the explorer master cyl, it uses a metric bubble flare where as your BII uses a standard flare size fitting, you would have to stack like 6 adapters to make the needed jump.
The front brake line can be adapted with a single adapter (easier to make the jump)

My truck is setup this way and braking is AWESOME even with the boat and 33's or 35's aired down on the trail.....

You will have to replace the hard line running to the frame and back to your rear axle in order to accomodate the explorer master cyl said:
Do these adapters go from standard flare at one end and then to metric at the other? And can I get them at most auto stores? That's good info on the disc brake conversion.

I will take a picture of my adapters.
On the front line I have two adapters stacked I believe, now that I think about it more.

I am driving the Explorer to and from work so the BII is at home, lucky girl!

Back