Brakes are pulling ! Ongoing problem.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes are pulling ! Ongoing problem..

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
I'm still screwing with this problem. I get a occasional pull to the drivers side when braking. Very rarely I will get a very mild pull to the passenger side.

Things I've tried:

New front calipers and pads.
Swapped front rotors.
Swapped front tires.
RA bushings.
Drivers side ball joints.
Junkyard HCU/ABS replacement.
Rear cylinders.
Rear shoes.
Swapped rear drums.

I am at my wits end on this one. Anyone got any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem i have not really messed with it at all but i know the clips that the brake pads ride in are a common problem on these older fords. im pretty sure thats what mine is

mine vibrates after time, despite changes like you made, including hoses. i'll find the problem in the future, but suspects are: the tab on the bottom of the pad, like they said(see if it's missing); the slide pins not lubricated. it started working a little better after i tightened up the nut to specs, but it came back anyway. here's to the future.

Which nut was that cogs? It's annoying to have to slowly rebuild the front end to fix the brakes.

it's the one that holds the outside bearing and washer. the one the serrated ring wraps around. so, pin, serrated ring, then the nut. i don't remember the torque (look on here), but it's similar to tightening (with a socket wrench) the rotor so it's just tight, then backing off 90degrees (1/4 turn).

I haven't seen any difference from keeping them very tight or a hair loose as far as braking goes. I'm starting to think this is just a brake line presure issue. Very hard to figure out though.

SOLVED! (Pretty sure..) Replaced the drivers side brake hose this morning in 20 degree weather(sun was out though) and shazaaam!! Took it for a good test drive and the brakes felt really good. I think I've got it whipped! What did I learn from this experience.. That sometimes trouble shooting isn't completely logical, especially when it comes to fluid dynamics, at least for the common monkey. Replace brake items in pairs! Never give up!

Back