Brakes grinding when stopping in snow. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes grinding when stopping in snow.

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
When I am sliding to a stop in the snow, the brakes feel like they are grinding, the pedal has a lot of movement and I can hear grinding, it only happens when I am sliding im the snow with the brake pedal down.

Is this normal?

That is the ABS doing its job. Extend your stopping distances and don't slam on the brake pedal in the snow.

When I am sliding to a stop in the snow, the brakes feel like they are grinding, the pedal has a lot of movement and I can hear grinding, it only happens when I am sliding im the snow with the brake pedal down.

Is this normal?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with what "Jaydez" told you, it is your ABS kicking in. If you brake hard while driving in snow and you lock the wheels up, this will happen. Try tapping the brake pedal gently numerous times as you come to a stop while on snow and you will find you stop a lot better and have less sliding. This will also keep the ABS from kicking in. BTW, if you had a grinding problem in your brake pads or rotors, they would grind all the time, not just when you are on snow. The problem is in your foot, it's too heavy on the brake pedal!

Back