• Register Today It's free!

BRAKES ON 94 Explorer 4x4

mpereira72

Reaction score
City, State
Foxboro,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I recently replaced a brake line in the rear. I bleed the lines and brake pedal is still spongy!! what should i do? any suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep bleeding. You've still got air in the lines. You can look into some of the reverse bleeding kits. they work WAY better and quicker and you can do it yourself without someone pushing on the pedal...

fyi ive got the same, 94 ex, and when i redid my brakes my brake pedal was spongy for a little while. i though maybe i had air in the system even though i was extremely careful when i pushed the caliper back in... but after about a week the brake pedal got noticeably stiffer. some people on the site explained it might be the rear emergency brake automatically readjusting itself, which happens after a brake job.

Does your 94 have anti-lock? If so, normal bleeding won't always work that well.

Take the truck to a gravel road or grassy spot somewhere safe and lay into the brakes hard enough to lock up the wheels and engage the anti-lock for a while. Do this a couple times, then see how they feel. Cycling the pump this way helps to get the residual air from the lines.

I agree with bleeding the line just remeber to start with the wheel farthest away from resovior and as you bleed finish by driver side front wheel.

Could be the abs crap causing the spongyness

This probably isn't the issue, but I feel it's worth mentioning. For the past 2 years my brake pedal pressure had been getting worse, to the point where I would have to pump the brake around town. I chalked it up to the front end parts wearing out because of my lift.

Nope.

The vacuum line that assists the power brakes - the gasket that creates the seal coming from the brake booster had COMPLETELY DISINTEGRATED. So bad to where it came out in 4 different pieces. New gaskets can be found at the parts store in the generic HELP! brand stuff for like $6. My brakes felt like my Camaro's afterwards, really happy.

Back