Brakes pulsating ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes pulsating ?

Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer,4.0 LTD 4x4
My 08 has 49,520 miles, new rear rotors and pads at 38,500, and new front rotors and pads at 42,840. About a few weeks ago I started getting a very rapid pulsating, chattering that I can feel on the brake pedal when exiting the highway at a fairly high rate of speed 45-55 MPH. Applying the brakes at that speed is when it happens, below 35 or 40 they are fine. From past experience I know that this would indicate warped rotors, just wondering if any thing besides brakes could cause this ? Handles great at all highway speeds, no looseness or shimmy, front end feels tight. Maybe a stuck caliper that is only working on one side ? I can see all the outside of all rotors, look great. I can't see the backside, probably have to remove each wheel to see that. By the way these are all Ford rotors and pads.
Thanks for any thoughts.:salute:

PS Could the ABS cause anything like this ?

Aside from a ABS engagement, which you didnt say you have happening, I would believe its warped rotors!

It could be a sticking caliper pin. I chased pulsating brakes on mine. I even checked the rotors with a dial indicator to make sure they weren't warped. The brakes were about due for pads and rotors anyway so I replaced them (with EBC) and replaced the pins while I was in there. The disc brake hardware kit from the parts store is about $4 a wheel. I haven't had a problem since.

Back