Brakes redux, part 2! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes redux, part 2!

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
My brakes have had a intermittant pull to the left for some time now. I've replaced:

Front shoes and calipers
Rear shoes and cylinders(let them auto adjust out)
4WD ABS unit with a junkyard unit

To no avail. Symptoms have not changed. The right rear drum looked a little glazed(minor cracked texture). Wonder if that would affect brake grip? Also wondering if the steering gear could affect braking? Say if it was a little loose internally? How about the passenger tire being a hair loose on the bearings? How about the front end has been rebuilt before, definetly signs that it's been in a accident(front panels and hood have been replace, one door also)?

I'm kinda at my whit's end on this one besides just tossing some more money at it and replacing the drums and rotors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody got a idea on this? I'm thinking I'll tighten up the passenger bearing and see if that removes it. Maybe I'll rotate rear drums to and see if that does anything.

Have you checked your brake lines for kinks, clogging?

After driving, check to see if any wheel is hotter than the others. It could be a collapsing flex brake line.

Start with the easy stuff. Tighten your berings and fix the other problems. Did you have the rotors turned when you did the brakes? Also the fronts do 70% of the braking so chances are the rear is not affecting this.

Have the alignmant checked by a good shop who knows the ford twin traction beam suspention - I assume its 4x4. On that note see if you have a hub sticking or a bad U-joint randomly binding up for some reason.

Depending on the severity of the accident, the whole frame geometry could be out. If the truck appears to "dogwalk" more than usual for a ford, then you may have some very extensive tweaking of the whole truck.

That passenger side bearing is tricky. Moving to the next keyed position on the nut makes it tighter than I'd like. I'll try bumping it up and see how it affects braking. I've ran it in that position before, can't remember how the brakes were.

I'll look for kinks in the brake lines. I think they are good though as I replaced the passenger side one because it had a rub on it down to the threads.

The intermittant part is what makes this more difficult to track down. It's something that comes and goes. Very odd.

That passenger side bearing is tricky. Moving to the next keyed position on the nut makes it tighter than I'd like. I'll try bumping it up and see how it affects braking. I've ran it in that position before, can't remember how the brakes were.

My pass side bearing is tricky too. I feel the same as you...it's VERY tight when moving to the next keyhole. Yet, on the previous keyhole, it's a little too loose.

The intermittant part is what makes this more difficult to track down. It's something that comes and goes. Very odd.

Is there air in the lines? That could cause it, too.

Replace your driver's side rubber line. They break down on the inside and can keep the fluid from going back to the resevoir. I would bet that is where your problem is.

I didn't think of it until you said you replaced the passenger line. If its pulling to the left then its a driver side problem.

Man can't believe this is still giving u trouble. If you need help with it just call. I pulled my explorer out today finally. Car is needing some work don't and to damn cold to work out side now. But like I said call if ya need help.

I'll have to give you a ring. Stupid brakes! There won't be one old part left on the brake system pretty soon.

Does it drive straight with no brakes applied?

Does it fade to the left or pull the Steering wheel from your hand? Fade would be rear brake issue.. Pull would be fronts

Caliper Pins are nice and clean?

Back