"Brakes require immediate attention!" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Brakes require immediate attention!"

RedDen

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hello guys,
Brought my Explorer recently for an oil hange.
While reading service report found this:

"rbrakes brakes require immediate attention disc less than 3mm, DRUM less than 1mm"

I searched Google all over and couldnt figure it out, what kind of DRUM it is?! All brakes are disc type brakes!

I am approaching 80k km and was suggested to do the following:
1. Brake fluid change - about $250
2. Cooling agent change - about $250
3. Transmission check and smth else - about $280 (with 20% off)

Moreover, all of the sudden got this:
"Recommend replacing both worn both rear upper arm rear bushings as they have excessive movement" (just re-typing from report, :) ) $971.51+GST"
What a rip off!!! Those bushings are about $50 each!

If it's a Quick Lane type report, I think they're meaning for it to read this way:

Immediate replacement = Any disc brakes with pads > 3mm, OR any drum brakes that have worn >1 mm remaining.

You're right, no drums.

Sounds like a standard boilerplate scare tactic.

Not all that much different from any other scheme used to convince people they need service work performed. I haven't seen it lately, but when I used to take cars in for service in the early 2000's, the porters would always pop the hoods and grab a sample of various fluids and put them on a white platter with samples of new fluids next to them. As the service advisor would write you up, the porter would drop off the platter for the service advisor to discuss what fluid services/flushes they said you needed immediately. Unfortunately, stuff like that works because there are a lot of customers that are not knowledgeable.

Did you inquire with the dealer why they are suggesting a coolant change at your current mileage vs the ford suggested interval is 100K miles/160K km?

Flip side, if you feel the dealer is at least believable in their assessment of some/all repairs needed, they are giving you that info for 'free' and you can go elsewhere to have the suggested maintenance/repairs completed for much less (or do them yourself).

Back