• Register Today It's free!

Brakes, Rotors & Calipers

croncal

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I'm looking for information about brake problems on Explorer's. My 2000 XLT's brake pads were replaced about 6 months ago & my rotors were turned.
My rotors are now ruined (grooves) and I have been told that this is a problem with Explorers. I was also told that the problems Ford had with Firestone was not Firestone's fault and that Explorers were flipping because of the sticking calipers.
Its possible the calipers are sticking.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have had no problems with my X's brakes. Why would you turn the rotors? that runs maybe $15 each when new rotors are $32 each. It WAS Firestone's problem. When my brother changed the brakes on my X, he made sure that the caliper moved smoothly. You may want to research this on this website. Good Luck with your brake problem.

Originally posted by croncal

My rotors are now ruined (grooves) and I have been told that this is a problem with Explorers.

This is not a common problem. Most likely the problem is due to running hard compound brake pads (carbon metalic or cermaic).

I was also told that the problems Ford had with Firestone was not Firestone's fault and that Explorers were flipping because of the sticking calipers.

The problem was not the brakes, it was not entirely Ford's fault, nor was it entirely Firestone's fault. The problem was due to poor drivers, lack of proper maintance (not checking tire pressure) and poor tires. [/B][?QUOTE]

Its possible the calipers are sticking.

The easiest way to tell if the calipers are sticking is to look at the inside brake pads. If the inside pad is significantly thinner on one side than the other, the side with the thinner pad is sticking.

My 97 X has 83K miles and still on factory calipers. Never had a problem sticking, or with caliper operation. Just make sure you re-grease the slide pins when you work on the brakes.

Ford rotors are crap though, get some good aftermarkets from Napa or else where.

Back