Brakes seized, reverse only in 2000 Explorer Ltd. SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes seized, reverse only in 2000 Explorer Ltd. SOHC

sdetz

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Limited
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited V6 SOHC 4x4

I know I need to replace my brakes, because the pads have worn down, I just havent had the time yet, but I ran into an issue the other day;

I'll put the truck in reverse, and the brakes stay in contact. As in, when I take my foot off the brake in reverse it doesn't disconnect, so i have to really put my foot on the gas to move the truck. (you can hear the grinding of the pads)

Then the second I put it in drive, everything is normal. What could be the problem? (I'm replacing the brakes on thursday) maybe that would do it?

thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you don't have a caliper hanging down, wedging itself against the inside of the wheel. Happens when the bolts back out, seems to be an issue with these trucks.

Thank you, I'll definitely check that out

as a side note, I just noticed there is a lot of brake dust on my right rim as opposed to the left, so there is something in the right wheel well that needs looking into

Surprisingly you guys were right, one of the bolts on the caliper actually snapped off and half of the exterior brake pad was scratching against the inside of the rim

only problem I faced, the caliper mount bolts were completely rusted. I worked on it for over an hour, spraying it with penetrant, and using many different methods to try and get the bolt off, it's practically stripped, what else can i do :(

Surprisingly you guys were right, one of the bolts on the caliper actually snapped off and half of the exterior brake pad was scratching against the inside of the rim

only problem I faced, the caliper mount bolts were completely rusted. I worked on it for over an hour, spraying it with penetrant, and using many different methods to try and get the bolt off, it's practically stripped, what else can i do :(

Your best bet is probably to get a torch on the bolt. If its stripped, you'll need some vice grips.

If you can't get the caliper bolt out of the torque member, take the torque member out. Heat is your friend.

Back