• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Brakes too hard ??

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Hi
This summer I changed my rear drum pads in my 1992 explorer. A month ago I changed my front pads and made the discs resurfaced. Yesterday I had a leaking caliper so I changed it and bleeded only this caliper because there was still brake oil in the reservoir. But now its braking too muh i think... I roll at 20 kilometers per hour in my driveway and I press only a little on the brake pedal and I almost slam my head on the steering.... Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
I'd say that it is a sticky caliper and/or a bad residual valve.

I've never seen Explorer brakes that grabby...

Also, are the rears jacked up hard? If so, you might want to back them off a couple of turns. You have to use a brake spoon and a small screwdriver in through the rubber plug hole in the rear of the backing plate. Back off the adjusters a couple of clicks and see what happens.

Oh, and I typically replace calipers in pairs so they pull evenly. I'm not real big on one-side brake jobs of any sort.

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Driver side caliper was ok and braked ok so i did not changed it ...The brakes on this side was used correctly and the dust seal of the caliper was really ok so i tought the caliper was already changed because the truck is now 210000 km's and maybe more. I changed the passenger caliper because of the leak only. Can you post a picture or a link to show me what you mean by a Residual valve? The rear brakes are correctly adjusted. When i do that i start the truck and jack up the rear. I ask to someone to push on the brake pedal and i pry the wheel with a crow bar between the studs to turn it . I loose it until it can be turn with the bar and I finish relocking it a little just to be correctly applied.

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
Here is a link to a good article that explains what is happening in the brake system that could cause it to drag.

Also, from what you say, I'd loosen up the rears a bit. You have them pretty tight considering that they are self-adjusting and will set up even more when you back up and hit the brake pedal.

http://www.thebrakeman.com/valvetechi