• Register Today It's free!

brakes wont bleed

fordnut71

Reaction score
City, State
oshawa, ontario. home 2 goverment motors canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ex sport
i got a 94 explorer sport an i had a wheel cyl leak on me the other 1 wasnt looking good either so i replaced them an the hard lines . when it came time to bleed the system i didnt check the master in time an ended up bleeding it i think dry. so now i cant seem to get the air bubbles out no matter how much i pump it . so far have put 2 liters in an still cant get it to come out with out bubbles. i do have abs does that make a difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got a 94 explorer sport an i had a wheel cyl leak on me the other 1 wasnt looking good either so i replaced them an the hard lines . when it came time to bleed the system i didnt check the master in time an ended up bleeding it i think dry. so now i cant seem to get the air bubbles out no matter how much i pump it . so far have put 2 liters in an still cant get it to come out with out bubbles. i do have abs does that make a difference?

Did you bleed the master itself first, with the lines off??

If not you put more air from it into the lines. Between the master and lines there's a lot of air that has to be replaced.

The whole system probably holds more than 2 liters, so it would take considerably more than that to flush all the air. ABS shouldn't matter for bleeding.

Once you let the master cylinder run dry it is a pita to get the air out.. Even more of a pita with Front ABS as you will need to cycle the ABS hydraulic solenoids to release the trapped air. Search on "bench bleed" and you'll find lots of information..

Bench bleed

so i should bleed the master 1st ?
how do i cycle the abs motor?
so once iv done that its a normal rr,lr,rf,lf?

Your order is fine. You may want to remove the master to bleed it without getting fluid all over the firewall and engine, since you have to remove the lines.

You might try bleeding it all again (starting with the master) and hope no air got into the ABS system. If ABS does need bleeding, some may have a bleeder bolt right on the ABS controller, or you may need to use an ABS-capable scan tool
to cycle it through the OBD II system. I don't know which on yours, but it does sound like your master is the main problem.

Back