Wray-Wray

Reaction score
City, State
North Tonawanda NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Moutaineer 5.0L
1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L AWD mostly stock

Ok i have a huge problem.

My brake pedal kicks back when i am on the brake the truck will still stop but u got to mesh on the pedal. The abs light is not on so i assume the sensors are fine. I talked to the dealer mechanic. He said theres this ring thing in the hub that can fracture or brake causing the pedal to kick back like that. I was wondering where this "Ring thing"(which im assuming is like some kind of snap ring) is located and if i can get it at a parts store. I've gone threw the brakes with ALL new hardware and pads. So thats not it. Checked my calipers and lubed them they are fine. I've checked all my line and bled them. So i don't think its air in the lines.

Thank you in advance

Wray-Wray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak. If the pedal is really stiff and the vehicle barely stops then thats the case.

no it is just like normal but it kicks up while im pushing down....it feels like bouncing a ball really fast

He might have been talking about the tone ring, which sends a sensor to the computer telling it how fast your going. It's also called an exciter ring and one other but I can't think of it right now.

Sounds easy, but check the reservoir to make sure you don't have too much fluid in it. If you do, the push rod in the master cylinder won't be able to release. That would cause a high hard pedal. Is it kicking back up instantly or does it take a second? Your one way check valve could be wrong. That would be caused by bleeding off your reserve and giving you no assist in braking.

It could be a number of things.

Any additional information is helpful.

At what speed does it occur?
Is it everytime you drive or just sometimes?
How long has it been doing this?

When you bled the system, did you follow the OEM recommended procedures? If not, you could have caused an issue that way too.
Did you bleed one caliper at a time. Meaning, did you only have one caliper off at a time?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm just trying to get a better clue so we can help you out. Hope I helped maybe a little bit.

Be safe out there,
Andrew:D

no it is just like normal but it kicks up while im pushing down....it feels like bouncing a ball really fast

That sounds like your ABS is kicking in. That could very well be your tone ring cracked, don't know how you broke it though. If so, it would be sending your computer a faulty signal. Saying your going really fast when your not really.
Have you hooked up a scan tool to your ABS system yet? Make it do a self check and see what happens.

ok this is the hard part to explain....if i stop and go in a straight line it DOESN'T DO IT...IT STOPS LIKE NORMAL......If i turn the wheel 180 degrees(like if im backing up and turing at the same time and put the brakes on)(or if im pullin to the end of my driveway and start to turn and stop at the same time) it will do the pedal jump(like i said it feels like you are bouncing a basket ball really fast just its under your foot lol) yes i did bleed the calipers one at a time.....

That sounds like your ABS is kicking in. That could very well be your tone ring cracked, don't know how you broke it though. If so, it would be sending your computer a faulty signal. Saying your going really fast when your not really.
Have you hooked up a scan tool to your ABS system yet? Make it do a self check and see what happens.

k thanx....but if thats the problem how do i change it and how do i get to it?

have the system scanned for dtc's.if none have the tech take it for a drive with the scan tool hooked up.he will be able to see the readings from the sensors and see if they are all reading the same.he will also be able to check the sensor threshold speed .this is the speed at wich the sensors start sending there signals to the ecm.but first you should check the wiring yourself for worn or corroded spots ie anything green.If you can get at them try pushing the sensors directly up against the tone ring which is ,I think, pressed onto the inside of the hub. these suggestions are normal troubleshooting for commercial vehicle abs systems and I may be way off for automotive but the principle behind its operation is the same.my dads f150 had a similar problem,the abs would kick in at low speeds under 5 k,it turned out to be a faulty sensor.

have the system scanned for dtc's.if none have the tech take it for a drive with the scan tool hooked up.he will be able to see the readings from the sensors and see if they are all reading the same.he will also be able to check the sensor threshold speed .this is the speed at wich the sensors start sending there signals to the ecm.but first you should check the wiring yourself for worn or corroded spots ie anything green.If you can get at them try pushing the sensors directly up against the tone ring which is ,I think, pressed onto the inside of the hub. these suggestions are normal troubleshooting for commercial vehicle abs systems and I may be way off for automotive but the principle behind its operation is the same.my dads f150 had a similar problem,the abs would kick in at low speeds under 5 k,it turned out to be a faulty sensor.

thanx man! will do prolly this weekend when its not snowing

If it's just the sensor with a harness, it's about $85. Just the sensor is about $15. I hope the ABS system doesn't need to be replaced cause those get pretty pricey!

Look up in your manual for the location of the ABS system.

Is there any way he can unhook the abs to help rule out the problem? (abs fuse? abs + wire?) Just wondering and throwing ideas out.

Is there any way he can unhook the abs to help rule out the problem? (abs fuse? abs + wire?) Just wondering and throwing ideas out.

i have no idea.....i was thinking about unplugging the sensors in the front to see if the pedal jump stops

Back