Brakes

NCG8R

Reaction score
City, State
W-S, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8
'96 XLT V8 AWD
Around 50000 mi I had a shop do a complete brake job. 15000 miles later, rear pads ate up both rear rotors. Replaced rotors and pads, front pads were like new. 15000 miles later again, rear pads worn and replaced before rotor damage. Couple of shops confirmed that rear calipers were not dragging & front calipers are not frozen after first incident. Braking obviously not "normal" but no local shop I've visited has clue. Any guesses?

Also, I'm going to replace my brake fluid, any idea how many ounces are needed (couldn't find it in the manual)?

Thanks in advance!

I've got a few quetions. What do the pads look like when worn? Is there a signifcantly noticable difference in the pad thickness between the inside and outside pads? Is there more wear on one side of the vehicle than the other?

Both inside & outside look equally worn. Rotor seriously scored on both sides (the one time it happened) and pretty much equally between left & right sides. Explorer does not pull left or right when braking either. Last shop I went to "adjusted" front-to-back proportioning (I didn't think this could be done with diagonal systems like vehicles have?) and the nose does drop a little when braking but it seems the rears are still carrying too much of the braking load. I need to check the pads when I do the fluid flush; it may be time to change them again.
Thanks for your time & brainpower on this.

Back