• Register Today It's free!

Brand new 2015 xlt

jobofly

Reaction score
City, State
Endwell NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hey guys I just took delivery of my brand new explorer. This thing is sweet. I got the xlt with the 201 package. I have a couple of questions,

1-I have the premium 9 speaker sound system, what are the best settings for it?
2-with the remote start, when it is set to auto does it turn the heat up and the window defrost on?
3-when driving on the highway in snow how fast can you drive in snow mode?

Thanks for your help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum jobofly.:wavey:
Check page 154 of your Owner's Guide (2nd print) for the Climate Control, Remote Start. There is a lot of info in the Guide and I suggest sitting down and going through it. Even then you'd be surprised of the things that pop up later that you weren't aware of.
In the 3 years I had my 2011 Limited I used the 'Snow' mode once to plow through a large snow pile that the plow left. At all other times I left it in 'Normal' mode and absolutely no problems. I should say that I also use dedicated Winter tires.
As for the sound settings, that is a personal taste. What I like may not be what you or anyone else likes. Adjust it for your preference.

NOTE: With the 5th gen now entering its 6th year of production, you'll find that there aren't too many items that haven't already been addressed here. Getting to know how to use the 'Search' function can be very helpful.

Peter

As far as snow mode goes, like Peter, I have only used it once this winter, when we had deep snow and the streets had not been plowed. I probably used it for 1/2 mile until I got to the main roads. I doubt if it's something I would ever use on the highway and at highway speeds. It mainly decreases the chance of wheel spin when "plowing" through deep, heavy snow.

thanks for the info guys. I love this site there is so much knowledge here.

Thanks Peter I did that today at my desk. Very helpful.

I have 400 miles on my explorer and am getting 20.2 mpg. I do mostly highway driving. Will that get any better?

I have 400 miles on my explorer and am getting 20.2 mpg. I do mostly highway driving. Will that get any better?

Highway mileage will all depend on your driving style, weather, and type of gas you use.. It should get better.
I have got up to 27 mpg and as low as 16 mpg with mine. I try to use ethanol free fuel as much as possible. Pure gas will yield the best mpg's

Enjoy you Explorer!

Ditto what Peter said. Also, I've used snow mode a couple of times on dry pavement when driving around town with fragile items on board. It really smooths out the acceleration/shifting, like an Eco mode on steroids.

Tony

To be honest with you, probably not. With my summer tires and in ideal weather I have gotten as much as 24.4 mpg, but that was in optimum conditions. In the winter and with my winter tires I can get about 20 - 21 on the highway.

My overall average is slightly below 18 for all driving. So don't expect the 25 - 27 mpg out of a large vehicle like the Explorer.

Same here, I was getting around 20 during break in and now around 18-19 average. I have gotten heavier footed after the break-in period.

I haven't seen anything north of 21.4.....ever.

Winter? No. Summer, flat interstate, 70-75 MPH yields 23-24 MPG.

thanks for all of your input guys

next question, when im on the highway with cruise control and im cruising at 72mph my tach is reading 2300 rpms. that seems high to me, what do you guys think?

thanks for all of your input guys

next question, when im on the highway with cruise control and im cruising at 72mph my tach is reading 2300 rpms. that seems high to me, what do you guys think?
Not sure what my Explorer read but that seems about right if I recall. I'd check it with my MKT but right now I'm running 18" wheels for Winter so it will likely be off a bit. Just checked your profile and see you have the XLT. Are you running 18 or 20"?

Peter

Ford only puts 32 psi in the tires which is low I run 40 psi and use a K&N air filter my 2011 got 23 to 30 mpg and averaged 25 on a 7,000 mile trip out west that was Interstate back roads and dragging around in National parks Have a 2015 now and with just the air increase and not a K&N filter yet I am average 23 mpg heavy foot on the gas pedal will hurt your fuel mileage

In both my previous Explorer and my current MKT the dealer has always put in 35psi in the all-season and Winter tires. Never 32psi. You also can't really compare the mileage on an F-150 to the 5th gen Explorer.

Peter

Not sure what my Explorer read but that seems about right if I recall. I'd check it with my MKT but right now I'm running 18" wheels for Winter so it will likely be off a bit. Just checked your profile and see you have the XLT. Are you running 18 or 20"?

Peter

i have 18's

Back