Brand New Ford Explorer Owner, Newbie to Forum And Very Happy Owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand New Ford Explorer Owner, Newbie to Forum And Very Happy Owner

Dr Fu

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT 3.5L Ti-VCT V6
Hi out there, The wife and I are proud owners of a new 2017 Ford Explorer 3.5L, not ecoboost (Not in the budget) XLT. Just picked it up on Friday, did a drive through the mountains, awesome, love it!

We purchased this as we want to buy a camper to pull to hit the mountains this comming year, it will just be the two of us and have been looking at lots that have a dry weight just under 4000lbs dry weight to give us the room for our belongings plus liquids just in case we dry camp. We got the trailer tow group with the class iii factory installed hitch, 7 pin wiring and the upgraded oil/tranny coolers.

In our shopping it seems we love the units that around 4200-4400 dry, we dont want to push it but was wondering about performance chips that would give us that 200-400lbs safety area back.

I dont want to do anything that would harm the SUV or void the warranty so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will start searching on this forum for other similar questions but sometimes these chats can go off the rails so a frest thread would be helpfull.

Thanks and look forward to chatting with fellow owners!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Rick,

Thanks. We have now had it for a week, love it, great truck for what we need. We also just purchased this weekend a new RV trailer and now looking to learn everything about towing with this truck. The trailer weighs dry 3000lbs called the Travelite Falcon F22RK GT: I have checked out our SUV and it does come with the proper 7 pin wiring and class iii hitch from the factory.

Falcon GT - Travel Lite Campers

Now my questions start to pop in and would like to learn from the experienced members of this forum the following if you can send me some links or treads:

• Brake controllers
    • Best one for single axle electric brakes
    • Proper wire harness or plug n play
  • Tow mode
    • Is this good enough or do i consider a chip programmer to get better towing/gas mileage
  • Wireless transmitted RV Back up camera
  • Weight distribution/equalization hitch w/anti sway control recommendations
  • Any other tips and tricks for safe towing

Much appreciated if someone can point me in the right directions on these questons would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for everyones assistance.

D

Back