Brand New starter in '93 explorer, has 325,000 miles on it, runs strong. This morning at 3:45 went to start engine and it fired once and nothing. Turn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand New starter in '93 explorer, has 325,000 miles on it, runs strong. This morning at 3:45 went to start engine and it fired once and nothing. Turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
City, State
Buckley
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 EXPLORER EDDIE BAURER
Like I said turned key again and the starter turned the engine but still no start, although the gas peddle felt less resistant and the night before I installed a new thermostat because it was overheating when I got off the freeway. I live in Salem Oregon and commute to Seattle during the week. Does it sound like a coil ? I don't know what it's problem is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you hear the electric fuel pump run when you turn the ignition key from off to run?

Reactions: ~X~

Can you hear the electric fuel pump run when you turn the ignition key from off to run?
I didn't have time to notice.That no start threw me into a late for work and an hour away mode.

First thing I would check is if your battery terminals are tight and clean. If you have a battery post brush cleaner, I’d clean the posts and retighten. I’ve had plenty of no start situations because of that. Plenty.

welcome! agree with the above advice from rick and rangerx

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? If your starter is turning, then you are getting juice. I have a '93 Ranger for 20 years. That happened to me once and it was the filter. I could be a bad fuel pump, but your filter is the cheapest thing to start with, and even if it isn't, it probably needed to be changed anyway (every 2 years). Do you not have a Hayes or Chilton manual? I always get a manual first thing when I get a vehicle.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? If your starter is turning, then you are getting juice. I have a '93 Ranger for 20 years. That happened to me once and it was the filter. I could be a bad fuel pump, but your filter is the cheapest thing to start with, and even if it isn't, it probably needed to be changed anyway (every 2 years). Do you not have a Hayes or Chilton manual? I always get a manual first thing when I get a vehicle.
Yes I've always bought a Haynes whenever I get a new vehicle. Just installed a brand, brand new fuel pump and it still won't start. I don't even hear the fuel pump like I usually do.

I would start with the relay, and work downstream from there.

Do you mean the 20 amp fuel pump fuse?
no. In the power distribution box, pasenger side of engine bay, there is a 2x3 array of 6 large cubes near the back, those are relays, 1 of which is for the fuel pump. If your ac fan works , swap the fuel pump relay with the one for the heater blower motor. If then, the fan doesn't work but the fuel pump does, safe to conclude issue was due to bad relay.

No need to change the filters every two years, that’s silly. While you were changing the pump you should have checked for voltage at the pump connector.

no. In the power distribution box, pasenger side of engine bay, there is a 2x3 array of 6 large cubes near the back, those are relays, 1 of which is for the fuel pump. If your ac fan works , swap the fuel pump relay with the one for the heater blower motor. If then, the fan doesn't work but the fuel pump does, safe to conclude issue was due to bad relay.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back