Completed Project - Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So, as of 5 hours ago Ronin8002, or James' built OHV block became mine; and with the stea.. I mean deal I got and all the extra goodies he threw in, he seemed a little too happy to get rid of this thing :shifty_ey... lol! But WOW this thing is in good shape! As a christmas gift from my parents, I've been given the opportunity to really dig into an engine like I've always wanted to do. I've watched and assisted a couple chevy 350 builds over the past few months but have never done anything by myself.. so here goes nothin!

The Meat (James' Block):
- 1995 block bored .030 over and torque honed
- Keith Black Hypereutectic 1995 Style Pistons (staying around 9:1)
- Total Seal piston rings
- Clevite bearings
- Stock Water pump/timing cover (awesome shape!)
- Stock Fuel Rail
- SOHC Oil pump/pan - to strengthen up the bottom end
-- Possible port/polish on the lower intake, we'll see when I get there

The Goodies:
- Comp Cams 49-422-8 Cam
- Comp Cams 988-12 dual valve springs
- 95tm heads with minor porting/polishing

(on the way, supposedly 11/28/10)
- SI sev2027 and sev2028 valves
- Delta Cam rockers
and pushrods will come later down the road when properly measured

I'm going to keep a diary as things progress on the motor, once I get all the parts in it really should start coming together quickly. I'm down for any type of constructive criticism you have, if you don't like the way I'm doing something PLEASE let me know, as this will be my true first solo go at an engine! JD4242 has really given me a lot of direction when it comes to the 4.0, by reading through his posts in the forums I'm still baffled by the amount of knowledge he has of these things. So, many thanks to you JD!

First order of business, I need help tracking down a full gasket kit, reasonably priced as the budget is dwindling down, I hear an ebay seller has them for around $130??, as well as new head stud/bolts. I'm not feeling ARP's $400 set of head bolts/studs. Does anyone have any suggestions or leads on either?

Thanks for lookin! Here's a couple of teaser pics! Pics of the motor when I get it all unpackaged and on a stand.

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,271
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,674

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GLAD to hear you got the engine squared away Brandon! Your Ex is one of my favorites.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations Brandon!
Im still fighting with mine. Its always at least 1 thing I'm dealing with. I have a lower ball joint with at least 1/4 inch up/down play in it that needs to be tackled right away, and now my motor started running rough at idle. Im jealous you have yours working as it should. Maybe I should pay you to get mine working.

Hey anytime as along as the moneys are there.. hahah.

I had that balljoint issue on my old set of LCA's, MOOG makes an oversized balljoint that will solve your problem, you can pick them up at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone I believe. Sorry I don't have the part number..

GLAD to hear you got the engine squared away Brandon! Your Ex is one of my favorites.

Thanks!

Nice build!! I so badly want to do this to my 98!! How much MPG are you pulling now?

Sorry for the late reply.. I'm averaging about 16 in the city and I've seen as much at 23 on the highway. I average about 19 per tank.

Did you ever get a tune Brandon? Those mileage numbers are pretty amazing.

That's about what i get.we both have the 422 also so you should get better

lol. my tranny must be why i pay so much in gas then. 11 city/16.5hwy lol

No OD duhh!i get about 11 really most the time in city but that because of how i drive and i drive very short distances.but if i drive like a normal person i get about 14-16city and 18-20 highway& that's with 4.88s and 36*14.50;p

That's great mileage. I'm still on factory sized rubber (235 75R 15's) and no lift. Must be the 75mph to work every day and the colder weather hurting me now.

These OHV's can obviously still do pretty good for mileage and power with some help.

It looks like the stock 3.73-to-P235/75 drive/tire ratio give the 4.0's the best mileage from what I've seen across the forum. I have 4.10's and 33's, which is almost the exact same ratio as stock, and JD has what 4.88's and 36's I think.. which is also dang close to the stock ratio.

On the last wheeling trip we did, JD, me and a 3rd Gen owner Will drove about an hour to the site, played around in the mud for about an hour or so and then drove about 45 minutes the next day to meet the rest of the group before filling up. Will's 3rd gen with 3.73's used about 9.5 gallons, I used 8.5 and JD (who drove from VA beach to Richmond before all that) used like what 13-15? I think we all figured we got about 15.5 MPG's, half of it being in 4x4 and in the mud.

Yea seems like a pretty common mileage for the ohv .should also mention we was in the mountains to

hey now, you forgot me! yes i got gas way before you guys did, but my gauge dont work, so i just wanted to be sure lol i actually wasnt to far off from your records

Yeah... but you screamin' down the highway with no overdrive doesn't count...
:p:
:D:D:D

hey brandon, jd, and everyone else on here, ive been reading and learned a bit, you guys are really, really incredibly intellegent on this topic. i too live here in central va. chesterfield to be exact, although i work in petersburg and gf lives in henrico ^.^ anywho, i need some help if you guys could help me. i have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac, with a 4.0. i want to get new cams, but dont know whats going to need to be replaced or refinished, moneys no problem as ive been saving and its tax time. I just dont know what to do. i have a few links of what i think would work >http://www.compperformancegroupstor...TGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=FORD466Cams40 comp cams im thinking should work? and this kit >http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM201140SOHCCatRev1HeadsCams.pdf any help is appreciated, and brandon, maybe we can all meet up one day!:party:

Back