Completed Project - Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Brandon's mild 4.0 OHV build

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
So, as of 5 hours ago Ronin8002, or James' built OHV block became mine; and with the stea.. I mean deal I got and all the extra goodies he threw in, he seemed a little too happy to get rid of this thing :shifty_ey... lol! But WOW this thing is in good shape! As a christmas gift from my parents, I've been given the opportunity to really dig into an engine like I've always wanted to do. I've watched and assisted a couple chevy 350 builds over the past few months but have never done anything by myself.. so here goes nothin!

The Meat (James' Block):
- 1995 block bored .030 over and torque honed
- Keith Black Hypereutectic 1995 Style Pistons (staying around 9:1)
- Total Seal piston rings
- Clevite bearings
- Stock Water pump/timing cover (awesome shape!)
- Stock Fuel Rail
- SOHC Oil pump/pan - to strengthen up the bottom end
-- Possible port/polish on the lower intake, we'll see when I get there

The Goodies:
- Comp Cams 49-422-8 Cam
- Comp Cams 988-12 dual valve springs
- 95tm heads with minor porting/polishing

(on the way, supposedly 11/28/10)
- SI sev2027 and sev2028 valves
- Delta Cam rockers
and pushrods will come later down the road when properly measured

I'm going to keep a diary as things progress on the motor, once I get all the parts in it really should start coming together quickly. I'm down for any type of constructive criticism you have, if you don't like the way I'm doing something PLEASE let me know, as this will be my true first solo go at an engine! JD4242 has really given me a lot of direction when it comes to the 4.0, by reading through his posts in the forums I'm still baffled by the amount of knowledge he has of these things. So, many thanks to you JD!

First order of business, I need help tracking down a full gasket kit, reasonably priced as the budget is dwindling down, I hear an ebay seller has them for around $130??, as well as new head stud/bolts. I'm not feeling ARP's $400 set of head bolts/studs. Does anyone have any suggestions or leads on either?

Thanks for lookin! Here's a couple of teaser pics! Pics of the motor when I get it all unpackaged and on a stand.

-Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,276
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,678

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

No prob bro!! What pump are you useing? I would throw the melling m328 high flow in there.that cam needs all the flow it can get.the motors are oil starved!! Also i would check the bearings wile you got that thing opened up.

Hey
Figured I'd weigh in.
Just finished an engine rebuild of 4.0l OHV for my 95 limited. I still have some bugs to workout but thanks to some sage advise from guys on the forum who have done it before I managed to muttle through.
Here's some details:
1) 97 4.0 with an eight bolt flywheel
2) balanced 94 pistons putting the compression at around 10: 1
3) Delta stage One (410) regrind cam with hardened pushrods and lifters
4) Port and gasket matched heads with viton seals.
5) 19 lb bosch fuel injectors for giggles.
6) FelPro gaskets and throttle shaft mod.
7) New stock oil pump (Alot of gum in the oil feed line in the engine due to oil stavation especially around #4 piston)
I toke it out today and tomorrow my buddy is coming over to put a tune in for a for the mods.
Overall I'm very satified with the build although I now want to change the valve springs.
I going to retire the 98 Mountaineer V8 and I consider the performance simlar on this V6 though the rebuild "feels quicker". Runs like stink
Just my 2 cents

Thanks Fellas

JD - A guy by the name of Mark at Richmond Ford suggested the oil pump I'm using and told me all about why, it's an overstocked reman for the '99- SOHC motors (apparently higher flow rate than the OHV/SOHC oil pumps up to that time period). He told me that this one would be adequate for what I need it to do, and for $19.99, I couldn't beat it.

It's officially a hybrid OHV/SOHC motor! :p: Today I cleaned up the motor and finished the bottom end, all bearings are in decent shape, new oil pumps in, SOHC cradle (I referred to it earlier as a girdle) is on and the oil pan is on. It's still an eye soar by any means, but I do plan to take care of that possibly after I get the cam in and timing set. The coolant passages have remnants of the decayed paper towel that was stuffed in there to prevent contamination.. thats going to be a pain in the arse to clean out. Looks like I'll need a chain tensioner, probably don't want to use my old one. Also, I may need some assistance putting the cam positioning sensor and assembly in, I'm still not 100% certain on it but I'm rereading through all the threads on here tonight to see if I can't get a grasp on it.

ALSO, I forgot to mention, this appears to be a 2WD motor with no balance shaft, HOPEFULLY I don't become the first person to run into problems!

On to da pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,057

Man i wish i would have gotten that pan when i had the chance.looks like it would have help strengthen it up a little!

Hey
Figured I'd weigh in.
Just finished an engine rebuild of 4.0l OHV for my 95 limited. I still have some bugs to workout but thanks to some sage advise from guys on the forum who have done it before I managed to muttle through.
Here's some details:
1) 97 4.0 with an eight bolt flywheel
2) balanced 94 pistons putting the compression at around 10: 1
3) Delta stage One (410) regrind cam with hardened pushrods and lifters
4) Port and gasket matched heads with viton seals.
5) 19 lb bosch fuel injectors for giggles.
6) FelPro gaskets and throttle shaft mod.
7) New stock oil pump (Alot of gum in the oil feed line in the engine due to oil stavation especially around #4 piston)
I toke it out today and tomorrow my buddy is coming over to put a tune in for a for the mods.
Overall I'm very satified with the build although I now want to change the valve springs.
I going to retire the 98 Mountaineer V8 and I consider the performance simlar on this V6 though the rebuild "feels quicker". Runs like stink
Just my 2 cents

Thanks Fellas
Why do you want to switch out the springs? How is he going to tune it? O yea i smoke the stock v8s all the time!! :)

Yeah he's got this programable diagnosic tool from Snap-on that scans the engine.It told me I had a intermittant cam sensor connection, a bad DPFE (which I replaced), checked the engine under load then set the idle at 600 rpm after setting the timing at 20 degrees. All automatically. The check engine light went bye-bye.:p:
It purred with no lope. When he comes back I'll get the model number of the Snap-On puppy. He said it was pricey.
I work weekly in NYC so when I came back the car had lost it's tune. However he said once it's dialed in, and I drive it for 100 miles it will keep it as long as I have the battery hooked up. I'm thinking of some kind of battery backup to the ECM. I work in a SUNY University IT department and I'm pretty hard to impress:rolleyes: but this sucker works good.

Brandon96

If I might suggest, weigh your pistons and rods on a grams scale. Take the lightest one and make the others weight the same. I got mine to within +8 grams overall and 1 gram on the rods. The engine will run quieter and smoother with no issues when you push the RPM's

... +8 grams overall and 1 gram on the rods....

That seems like a really wide weight range - shouldn't they be within more like 1/2 gram?

Great if you can get it. I got the rods to within a gram using a home digital weight scale from Harbor Freight.
Go for it.

Already been done, all pistons/rods are within 1-1/2grams (i think he said) of each other according to Mr. Boshar, who originally built this engine.

O yea i smoke the stock v8s all the time!! :)

AGH!! I can't WAIT! :p:

Any of you guys have clips of the 422 cam? I could only find one on YouTube of a 4.0 ranger that sounds like it could barely hold its idle.

Pics are of the exact same motor when it was SupahCharged by BosharRacing, he scrapped this motor after breaking it in for a built 5.0, I would have liked to have seen the dyno numbers of the setup, however he never even made it that far..

Attachments

• blower2.jpg
    blower2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • blower3.jpg
    blower3.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,059

Welp, tried to get started on the cam/timing today = FAIL.

I bought a tensioner from Richmond Ford, didn't bother to check it while I was there, got all the way out to my brothers house to start work, looked in the box and sure enough it was the wrong one. I've got no clue what this one goes to, doesn't look like the SOHC, possibly it could be the 5.0, who knows.

Hopefully I'll get some work done on it tomorrow.

I'm hoping monday to tear into my Ex and get the heads off to turn into the shop.

AGH!! I can't WAIT! :p:

Any of you guys have clips of the 422 cam? I could only find one on YouTube of a 4.0 ranger that sounds like it could barely hold its idle.

fun ones,these all have my old exhaust on witch i miss!!:(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYe9e8jBGo&feature=player_profilepage
this was with my stock gears was trying to film my shift points,exhaust and motor sounds good though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=9l1Y7oy39dc
and one but the idle is set pretty high here 900rpms and its my old exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6C-26nE0N4&feature=player_profilepage
im uploading a new one right now but its going to take an hour to up load and i have to work so ill post it at 9 when i get off

Wow that sounds good! well, the best a v6 is ever going to sound right? hahah

I've got 2.5in pipe from the cat to a Flowmaster original 40, 2.5in dual outs behind the rear wheels.

CANT WAIT. :D

Yea i have 2.25 not like the 2.5 i thought i paid for!!

I really like what you did for your oil cooler, I might have to take that into consideration.. haha

Edit^

"Waaaay quieter... and I can't stand it."

hahahah, oh come on you don't like the tone Flowmaster gave it!?

Back