Year, Model & Trim Level
2024 Bronco
2000 F-250
Callsign
KF5ZXT / WRZY675
fall-2013-land-use-update-banner.jpg

BRC's Fall Land Use Update for 2013
It's a doozy!

Well, its time for a BRC Land Use Update, and I have to say I couldn't find a more fitting reminder to me about how much I need a break from land use issues!
We've got the latest update on the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) unlawful "de-facto" wilderness, and a glimpse on how they are planning to "make it legal." Amazing news about the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) withdrawing a proposal to list the Coral Pink Sand Dune Tiger Beetle as a threatened species, which could have closed Utah's Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park to all OHV use.
As always, we try to insert more than a fair share of good natured humor to keep it all readable. But even then, there is a huge amount of information to pass along.
Although I'll be around till the end of the week, I'd like to take this opportunity to give a few "parting shots," as it were. Don't miss that!

Parting shots

As our Public Lands Policy Director prepares for a well deserved break, he has a few words for us as he heads out the door.
Read more here.

USFS De-Facto Wilderness Policy

The Ultimate Wilderness Double Standard
We had a bit of fun at the U.S. Forest Service's expense recently.
But we've noticed that a "wilderness double standard" has now been embedded into every single planning effort. The "de-facto" wilderness management is only the last step. Read more here.

Quid for Me - No Quo for You!

With the advent of many "placed-based bargain" bills, (the kind that offers the quid-pro-quo in the form of new Wilderness in exchange for we call regulatory security,) the concern is... what if they renege on the bargain? Read more here.

San Juan National Forest and BLM's Tres Rios Field Office releases long awaited management plan.

South Western Colorado's Forest Gem has a new plan. Finally after nine years the US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) have released a final management plan for two areas that, when the planning effort began, were managed out of the same office. Read about it here.

GREAT NEWS - FWS Withdraws Proposed Rule To List Coral Pink Sand Dunes Tiger Beetle and Designate Critical Habitat as Threatened Species

Of course, the question now is how long it will take the foundation funded attorneys over at SUWA (Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance) to sue the FWS for this decision! Read more here.

US Forests in Washington State Begin "Sustainable Roads" Process

Designed to do one thing: Close access to all
The announcement on the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) website indicates the USFS is considering closing approximately 75% of the remaining roads and trails open to public use on the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest because they say they only have enough funds to maintain 25%. I guess this is what we should expected from today's Forest Service. But let me make this clear at the outset: Most, if not all, USFS programs are under funded. Indeed, the maintenance backlog for trails in designated Wilderness is well documented. The recreating public will not accept the agency applying a strict maintenance budget criteria to any travel plan. Read more here.

LEGISLATION UPDATES

Updates on legislation affecting recreational issues.
Read more here.

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education, and collaboration among recreationists. 1-800-BlueRib - http://www.sharetrails.org
As a non-profit, grassroots organization funded primarily by membership dues and donations, we greatly appreciate your support. Visit http://www.sharetrails.org/make-a-difference-now to help fund our efforts to protect your trails!

Back