• Register Today It's free!

Brembo or Powerslot rotors?

Chris Rambo

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
This is my first post but have been lurking for a long time. I can ussually find the answers to the questions I have by searching, but now need advice. I am going to be replacing the brakes on my 98 X and am curious as to which rotors to buy. So if you were buying new rotors would you go with the Brembos or the Powerslot? If you would choose the powerslot would you pay extra for the cryo treated? Anyone with experience with either of these rotors let me know what you think. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't tried Brembo, but heard good things about 'em.. I did use Powerslot rotors on my 98 Mustang GT (almost 600rwhp)... worked fine til I sold the car.

I've used Powerslots with Hawk pads for a couple of years now on my '99. No complaints at all. They work much better than OEM/stock rotors and pads.

I've used Powerslots with Hawk pads for a couple of years now on my '99. No complaints at all. They work much better than OEM/stock rotors and pads.

I used Hawk pads on the 98 GT too lol. I really liked that setup. Got me stopped plenty quick.

I loved my powerslots and hawk pads. The cryogenic treated are nice, they'll be less prone to warping. I didn't get them with my last set and they were still in great shape 2 years later after some pretty heavy abuse. If your really hard on your brakes they may be worth it, but for a normal daily driver you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

i have the powerslot rotors and let me tell you they are amazing...
i would go with the power ones since i can tell u they are good
specially when having to stop quick ...

Well, I was gonna buy the powerslots but now wonder about the different types ie. drilled, or slotted, or drilled and slotted, or just the smooth ones. Too many choices. So, if anyone wants to give their .02 I,m listening

The Rotors on the Explorer are grossly undersized for the vehicle weight at highway speeds.

I was going though rotors every 12-18k miles on my 2WD. I upgraded to Drilled & Slotted rotors from R1Concepts. They lasted longer, but due to the EXTREME cracking of the rotors, I retired them after 2 years (25k?) showing very little wear on the disc itself. I went through pads a little faster with them, but it was worth the additional stopping power. But they cracked horribly! I have them hanging in my garage...they look cool all cracked up...

When I upgraded my brakes to 13" Cobra brakes, I went with Drilled & Slotted from R1Concepts again. No signs of them cracking yet. The difference is the Cobra Brakes are MUCH thicker, something like 1.25" total....the stock Explorer rotors are something like .850"

Stock sized rotors, get the Powerslots. DO NOT get drilled rotors.

Ryan

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the powerslots and a set of hawk pads. Less than $300 from buybrakes.com not bad.

I have Power Slots with Hawk pads. I'm taking everything apart in the rear trying to fix my p-brake. The PS rotors are all rusted up on the edges and inside the p-brake drum. Then one of the Hawk pads fell off it's metal backing. Since I need new pads and I you can't resurface slotted rotors and I was going to sand the hell out of the p-brake drum, I'm just going to buy new stuff.

Is this normal for PS rotors to rust up? Is it impossible to make brake rotors that don't rust? I now notice there are regular PS and there are Cryo PS. Could it be I bought the non-Cryo? They are old, I forget when I put them on, a few years ago.

I did my fronts in fall 05 and my rears were done in jan. 07

when I did the fronts I used bendix pads and whatever stock rotors they had (never had a rotor issue)

when I had the rears done they used some brand begining in M, this is also when we found out that the rear pads dont match the numbers of the pad they say should fit the capture pieces were bigger, they also used stock rotors and mentioned that my E-brake was siezed so they didnt change the pads since it was inoperable (I wasnt going to pay them to fix it)

now I could lie and say it has been 4.5 and 3 years respectively on those brakes, but last year the truck was down for 8 months due to a broke spark plug so it's more like 3.5 and 2 years... but they still run strong and I beat the snot out of them

Hi mates, I bought Cryo power slots with hawk pads from the US and fitted them to my Aussie Explorer .There are different types of Hawk pads .I stayed away from the drilled disc's because of cracking tendencies between the drill holes . I have the harder set of pads for the rear and the softer ones for the front to avoid dust and noise I do a lot of towing and they work excellent .I bought them from Buy Brakes a guy called Dave . There service was excellent even out here to Australia

Back