Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

Okay, the time has come to start this swap. While everyone was off goofing around in Moab over the weekend, I pulled my old 4.0L and 5spd from my sport.

Here are the details:

The patient - 1994 Explorer Sport 4.0L ohv 5spd manual 151K miles
The donor - 2004 Ranger 4.0L sohc 5spd manual 7K miles

My plan is to use as much of the original 94 electronics as possible. Yes, I could wire in the 04 electronics and computer, but I just don't want to. I'm trying to keep this swap simple so it "could" be done in a weekend.

Other details to sort out are:
Oil pan
AC
Front Dress
Fuel Line
Vaccum lines
Electrical

Pictures will follow shortly as I take them.

If anyone has done this before and can share their expience, please post in this thread. I believe that this has been done before, but as far as I know, there is not much documentation for a 1st gen 4x4 chassis. I know some ranger guys have done this with some 2wd trucks. There is very limited knowledge about this swap in the early trucks. Sure anyone can swap in 5.0L's with all the adaptors available. Let's hear about the experiences with 4.0L SOHC swap.

I would like to keep this thread on track with useful information relating to the swap. PLEASE do not post dumb comments like "where are the pictures" or "wow, this is cool". Please keep those to yourself.

Thanks,
Brett

Time spent pulling drivetrain and cleaning up = 8hrs. Total time = 8hrs.

Attachments

• brett pass front small.JPG
    brett pass front small.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 12,022
  • 04Ranger04[1].jpg
    04Ranger04[1].jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,887

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To clear things up a bit about @Stic-o 's post about the motor mounts I build and sell. My mounts are 100% built to the 1st Gen stock mount dimensions and are a direct bolt-in replacement for them as well. Stic-o is therefore making his pan clear with only the 1/4" spacer he made + whatever distance stock mounts sag with weight on them since mine will not do that. So yes they are "custom" in a sense but the dimensions that matter in this instance are the same as a stock motor mount.

I think sag has al to do with this. Also your able to move the motor around horizontally a with these a bit which helps. As the motor will only make contact on the passenger side at the pan bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, me again. my engine mounts worked well and the engine fits. im starting to put all the OHV sensors on the SOHC and am wondering what you did for the coolant temp sender. on the sohc thersostat housing theres two spots for senders, but one of my ohv (i think the sender for the gauge) is a much bigger pipe thread than the available hole. now, im using an aluminum thermostat housing, so drilling bigger and re tapping is no biggie. i was just curious as to what you did to get a second opinion?

how many wires on the OHV coolant sender? How many on the SOHC?
Some have two wires some have one

how many wires on the OHV coolant sender? How many on the SOHC?
Some have two wires some have one
for the OHV group of senders, one of them has two, and one of em has one.
for the sohc, both have two.

im not sure which is which for either.

edit.
both the ohv senders/sensors are the same thread.
the sohc senders/sensor are different size threads

You def want the ohv sender for the gauge to remain with the engine that way the dash will work properly
Unless you are running aftermaket coolant tempo gauge?
It is also possible to modify your dash to understand the signal from the SOHC temp sender

It might be best just to tap the hole larger like you are thinking that is probably what I would do
Lets hear what Brett @Brett and others have done. They should be at home in front of their PC's alot now, so just wait :)

You def want the ohv sender for the gauge to remain with the engine that way the dash will work properly
Unless you are running aftermaket coolant tempo gauge?
It is also possible to modify your dash to understand the signal from the SOHC temp sender

It might be best just to tap the hole larger like you are thinking that is probably what I would do
Lets hear what Brett @Brett and others have done. They should be at home in front of their PC's alot now, so just wait :)

yeah im doing all this because the main point is to use the stock cluster. i take pride in a mostly stock interior in a "race truck"
(its a ascetic thing for me)

me too
I still have a 88 dash in my BII I put autometer gauges in the stock dashpot.... I LOVE my 1988 interior so I understand. Minwe is not built for racing, but it is built :)

If I remember correctly on the OHV one of those sensors is just for the guage- so using the OHV sensor would be the right thing to do there imo. IDK anything about the various roles of the other one and the best solution for it.

the other coolant temp sensor is for the pcm

If you are keeping your 93 pcm then you should also swap that sensor to the 93 style
Did this thread never touch on this topic

check your wiring manuals or post up the wiring colors here for both sensors

i dont know if i wasnt transparent with my original post. but yes, im trying to put my 93 sensor and sender in the sohc housing and one of the threads on the 93 sensors is bigger. so i was wondering what bret did here before i go and drill and tap my new aluminum thermostat housing.

You are going to need to change both sensors over to the 93 sensors
You want the PCM to be happy
You want the dash to be happy

I’m using the 90 1 wire temp sensor that came off the old engine, I forgot to add that it was turned down on the lathe to be the same size and thread as the 99 sensor hole it fits into, it was like m10 or m12. Actually my temp sensor went out a few months ago and I’ve had a new one rattling around in my center console for months because I haven’t turned it down yet. In the process of buying my own machine tools instead of using other peoples.

I’m using the 90 1 wire temp sensor that came off the old engine, I forgot to add that it was turned down on the lathe to be the same size and thread as the 99 sensor hole it fits into, it was like m10 or m12. Actually my temp sensor went out a few months ago and I’ve had a new one rattling around in my center console for months because I haven’t turned it down yet. In the process of buying my own machine tools instead of using other peoples.
i ended up drilling it out and retapping the housing. new sohc motor rips! so happy i tried this swap

Back