BrianDye's '95 Sport Registry! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BrianDye's '95 Sport Registry!

Traded my old 95 (4 Door) for a mint 2001 Taurus SES, loved the car, drove great, great on gas, but it made me realize, im an SUV dude, not a car dude. (Unless its a muscle car or something classic :p) I replied to a CL ad, about this 95 Explorer Sport, and the guy called me and told me about it. (There were no pics, nor information besides mileage, and that it needed nothing and ran great) I asked him if he wouldnt mind to email me some pictures of it before I come all that way up there (70mi) and he said he just put some on the ad, so I checked it out, and it looked like my 95's twin before I painted the stuff. One member on here pointed out that the last picture showed the top corners of the REAR doors, so I knew it was the wrong pictures. (I thought it was just the one, but they were all wrong)

So tonight I got there, (he brought it to his house because the dealer was already closed) and brought all the paperwork to transfer plates, and the title and whatnot, but I got there, and this thing was nothing what I expected, it was in MINT condition, chrome wheels shining like theyre brand new, paint looks no older than a year, and everything worked great, drove great, quiet exhaust, 4x4 works, all that good stuff, and only 138k miles. So we traded (signed all the papers, etc)

I cant get over how nice it is, theres nicer ones out there, but damn it wasnt what I was expecting haha.

Its got the stock JBL system, so its gonna be a PITA to put my system in!

SANY0380-1.jpg

SANY0381-1.jpg

SANY0382-1.jpg

(Snow)
SANY0385.jpg

SANY0388-1.jpg

SANY0390-1.jpg

SANY0391.jpg

SANY0392.jpg

I have NEVER in my life though seen such a DUSTY engine compartment
SANY0393.jpg

SANY0394-1.jpg

And I have never (even on newer cars) seen a functioning hood light!
SANY0399-1.jpg

AND a power antenna!!! (Dusty as hell on that side lol)
SANY0400-1.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

UPDATES:

Current Mods: (No order)

1. 3" off road lights behind the grille
2. 7 color changing LED bulbs in the reflectors on the door
3. 12" white LED strips (x4) to replace dome lighting
4. 36 LED reverse bulbs
5. 194 SMD LEDs in the gauge cluster, and temp. controls
6. Tinted taillights (Not the white part)
7. Removed roof rack (the bars, not the actual track yet)
8. Duralast Gold battery
9. Kinetik high power cell behind the backseats
10. Analog Voltimeter gauge in the center console
11. 194 SMD LEDs in the license plate lights
12. Scoche single din dash kit
13. Platimum Battery terminals
14. Removed CD changer
15. Became Elite!!!
16. Installed PAC Amp gain controller (Remote bass knob, uses RCA's) in the dash kit slot
17. Removed all dome light bulbs, still trying to figure something out for them...
18. Ran my own speaker wire until my wiring harness comes in the mail
19. Sanded & painted front wiper arms
20. Put SoundBox in the center console, mounted PS speaker behind grill (See page 4 video)
21. Added a Scosche In-line Noise Supressor (#ES034) Which eliminates bumps, and whining (interference) from speakers/subs etc
22. Ordered my Black Projector headlights! Hopefully ill have them by this week!

Future Mods:

1. 18/20 or 22" Rims
2. Lower 2"
3. Aftermarket CAI
4. Black 1 piece projectors w/ halos
5. 10,000k HIDs in the projectors
6. 10,000k HIDs in the fogs
7. Shave roof rack
8. Limo tint
9. Rear hatch update (98' Style hatch/tails)
10. Black altezza tails
11. LED taillights, and ALL blinkers/running lights
12. 16" flipdown monitor, or 2 10" flipdowns
13. Rust restoration
14. Heated mirrors w/ puddle lights (LED of course:D)
15. Paint the wiper valance
16. Newer style front bumper with cirlce fogs
17. Rollpan in back
18. Color changing underbody LED kit
19. HID Reverse lights!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st question:

Can I disable the fact that the headlights have to be on (low beams) to have the fogs on?

(Ex. have just the pk. lights on and fogs, or have both high beams, and fogs on?)

what happened to the LS? Nice looking sport though.

Lent it to my mom, the lease on her escape was up and moneys a little tight right now so she's driving it for a couple months or so

X's

........... great too see ya back with the X Sport..........

Looks like a nice buy, not sure on the fog light situation though, you would have to look at some wiring schematics, I know my 95 I had didn't allow the fogs without the headlights either but my 00 allows it.

How does it feel to be one of us again? The sport isn't for me because I am a few years older and my friends like to have their own back door.

This one is perfect for you because the sport works well for younger guys. You get a tighter turning radius due to the shorter wheel base. Maneuverability is important if you actually use the 4x4 in the woods or whatever. This one should last you a long time.

I wouldn't jury rig it on the modifications. Wait till you have money to do stuff right and you will have respect for it. It's a nice ride. Have a little vision! You learned a lot from your last one.

After all you been through I'm glad to see you found a nice one.

Nice running boards! Since day one, how much do you have invested?

One time I was buying rotors and calipers. The parts guy was a member of the forum and gave me his discount. Birds of a feather flock together.

I would start by painting the damn pillars.

Yea, those are some aftermarket westin bars, pointless unless (until) I lift it haha...
It's great to be back, I tried out other forums and they just weren't the same lol didn't feel like home :p:

I do miss having those doors in back because I do frequently have people with me but I'm not complaining.

Im heading BACK up that way today to trade my (banned) 360 for a brand new Kenwood 6.5" indash, can't remember off the top of my head but this thing doesn't have a mark on it, he bought it and didn't know his van was only a single din haha

Yea those pillars bug the hell outta me, I gotta find the right paint, on my other 95 I tried with the same paint I used for everything else and it came out HORRIBLE lol it looked like gel or somethin

Nice lookin X.

im an SUV dude, not a car dude. (Unless its a muscle car or something classic :p)

So you're not gonna get the LS back? Did you ever fix the issues with the tranny?

That's a good looking sport you got, I don't remember seeing your post about the Taurus tho...

Yea those pillars bug the hell outta me, I gotta find the right paint, on my other 95 I tried with the same paint I used for everything else and it came out HORRIBLE lol it looked like gel or somethin

What I used:

IMG_0767.jpg

Result:

IMG_0774.jpg

look for "the brown wire mod"

basically you need to trick a relay to turn on the fog light relay with the marker lights

but i hate people who drive at night like that, and it's illegal, which is why ford requires the low beams be on

the mod DOES allow the fog lights to stay on with the high beams though which is nice

The brown wire mod is for 4×4 features.

This thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60518) shows you how to bypass the fog light interlock. All you need to do is make a jumper that replaces a relay. You can get the spade connectors and a piece of wire from RadioShack or a parts store.

Haha yea I was gonna say the BWM is for the AWD setups I thought to make it only 2x4 or something, I would never drive like that at night, I too hate people that do that, just the parking lights, and fogs on, I like it like that though when the sun starts to go down :p:

Ill get the LS back eventually, probably by summertime, if that, but I got my explrorer now so im in no rush, after going from the explorer to the car, (LS OR taurus) im still more of an SUV guy. The tranny problems arent bad anymore, idk what the problem was, we dont FLOOR it obviously and race the thing, but casual city/highway driving is totally fine with it, doesnt slip or shift hard.

Ill be getting some of that trim paint soon though haha, thanks for the pics, good work btw.

I never did post about the Taurus, heres a couple pics I snapped of it, the only things I did to it were:
Tinted tails, and painted the innards of the headlights black, which looked sweet in person, pics kinda suck.
SANY0360-1.jpg

(Before)
SANY0358-1.jpg

Had the LS rims on the back :p:
SANY0337-1.jpg

SANY0339-1.jpg

SANY0340-1.jpg

(Previous owner did that ugly paint on the trunklid)
SANY0351-2.jpg

Yea, those are some aftermarket westin bars, pointless unless (until) I lift it haha...
It's great to be back, I tried out other forums and they just weren't the same lol didn't feel like home :p:

I do miss having those doors in back because I do frequently have people with me but I'm not complaining.

I'm heading BACK up that way today to trade my (banned) 360 for a brand new Keyword 6.5" in-dash, can't remember off the top of my head but this thing doesn't have a mark on it, he bought it and didn't know his van was only a single din haha

If I were your age, A two door would be fine. I think you used your energy well.

If you get too boastful on this sight you can attract bad attention. Many people have lost their jobs or worse. Don't show off too much. Apriciate your blessings!

If you get too boastful on this sight you can attract bad attention. Many people have lost their jobs or worse.

What do you mean? Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Electro-I thought it was the "brown-wire" mod also. Thanks to Jackal for posting the older link for foglight trick. Looks like nothing more than clipping 1 of the 3 outer legs on the relay. I will be giving this a try. Thanks to Paraphroe for posting the trim paint, results look stock

Back on track--Brian, nice purchase. You can easily clean up the engine bay. You can also re cover the steering wheel with a leather kit. The wheels you have are off of the "Expedition" package or Eddie Bauer. I have a set of them, they are one of the nicest Ford stock wheels set in my opinion. Do the APC bulbs make a big difference? I am still running all stock bulbs in the taillights. Switched to PIAA's for the headlights, had a set of generic "blue xenon" bulbs for the fogs but they have since burned out.

Back