Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain & Mud Terrain Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bridgestone Dueler All Terrain & Mud Terrain Tires

I want information and general opinions.... I don't want, answers like, "My friend had the ATs and hated them."...... I want answers along the lines of "I have them and love/hate them."....... FIRST HAND EXPERIENCES ONLY regarding to quality, wear characteristics, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not a big fan of the AT's they are extremely hard and don't grip very well. Not sure about the MT's but the look pretty mean and a lot of the oilfield companies here have them so they must do alright.

Happy trails!!

Although I have no other mud/A/T tires to compare to I've been impressed with my M/T Dualers.

They spend about 95% of their time on the pavement. And they've lasted longer then I thought they would have. However I keep the air pressure at least 45psi. (The max is 50 on mine) I don't mind the rough ride, but the trade off is obviously better tread life and gas milage.

On the flip side they've taken me up mud soaked hills that I didn't think I'd get up. Since I don't do a lot of "hard core" wheeling I don't air down when I go on the trail. Even with not doing that I've been impressed with their grip.

Like I said I don't have any other tire to compare them too, but I give them a thumbs up in my book.

Hope that helps.

...Oh, my tires are 31x10.5 in size.

i had the at's in 31x10.50, they were a pretty good tire,they had good on road manners and did farely well off road too, i had them for over a year with about 30,000 miles on them and they still have about 30% tread left. the only reason i didnt get them and got the bfg's is because i had heard good things about bfg's and sears had them on sale, all in all they are good tires

maybe i should have mentioned i get 10% below dealer cost on them and free alignment nad balancing and mounting ;) however, i have observed that we sell a lot of the ats.... and they dont look like they would perform that bad.... but i want to get the mts in 35.....

I had the 265/75/15 at's on my X for awhile and i wasnt impressed with them at all...they had the nice little firestone like rubber rot around the bottom of the tread on the sidewalls. At first i wasnt concerned untill the whole firestone thing went down and i got rid of them...they are made side by side with the firestones...i never was a fan of firestone but they were a good price and thought well they will put more quality in the Bridgestone line cause they are supposidly a higher class tire. they also didnt wear evenly and were loud...most of the mileage was on pavement like someone else mentioned. When i did go offroad i got stuck...always and in the simplest of locations...usually slick mud. the x had bfg's on it when i bought it and i never got suck and it has them on it now and it doesnt get stuck. i would spend a little extra money and get the bfg's unless you can get the dueler's for like 60 a piece...then it might be worth it...just watch them for the cracks.

Dueler A/T 255/70R16s on mine. Were a bit noisy off the bat - hums at highway speed. But if you're considering M/Ts, I guess that's no big issue. A/Ts weren't overly impressive in the snow and mud. They're pretty much done for by about 55K miles, too bad I have 70K on them and I'm desperately in need of new shoes.

Pros:
Look Cool
Rim-guard bead
Sidewalls look great even at 70K (no cracks)
OWL holds up well despite a few curb-nerfs

Cons:
Just OK handling in snow and wet
Wears faster than Firestone Wilderness A/Ts
Initial highway noise

I'm looking into Michelin LTX M/S for my next set - snow won't be much of an issue and they'll handle whatever light off-roading I actually do. Good luck!

Hey Jim I had Dueler MT's 35x12.50 and they worked great on and off road. They did the Rubicon twice and never had a complaint.

i had the dueler m/ts for a while , i need a mud terrain because i work a ranch here in south florida, and down here we get quite a bit of rain which creates some nasty mud and im off road 75% of the time and most of the time i cant go around the mud. anyway from my experience with them i believe that when it comes to mud that there performance was not acceptable for my needs on the job, so i switched to swamper trxus m/t s and im happy to say that i havent been stuck yet
just my 2 cents

I was planning on getting Duelers P265/75R16 after i did my 2 inch TT/Shackle lift. I have P255/70R16's right now so im in no hurry to get new tires because from what i hear, my tires will look fine.

However, because of some of the posts here i'm rethinking the duelers... what tires do you guys reccomend? remember- was want P265/75R16's... right now my X is stock suspension and ALL i want to do is the 2" TT/Shackle... nothing outragous- i just want it to look meaner.

www.geocities.com/sk1er17

I am a Bridgestone guy. Excellent, quiet, quality, long lasting tires. I have owned both the Dueler and the BFG (A/T and M/T) and honestly you can't go wrong with either tire. The Dueler M/T is quieter on the road that the BFG M/T and is just as capable. The BFG has a 3-ply sidewall, while the Dueler has a 2-ply, with one of the tread ply wrapping halfway down the sidewall for extra protection. Kind of like a 2.5-ply. I have done serious off-roading and put lots and lots of miles on these tires in the desert, and have never gotten a flat or been let down by either brand. Right now I am running 33x10.5 BFGs (for sale), but now with my lift I am going to run 33x12.5 Dueler M/Ts.

The choice is yours, hope this helped.

--Sean

Currently have and Love, Bridgestone Deuller A/Ts. 31x10.50. Lots of good chaicteristics both on and off road.

Good handleing on and off road, long mileage warranty, great aired down in sand and loose stuff. Not so good in thick sticky mud they don't clear out unless you really spin them. Though here in Co. it has not been a prob this year. They are nice for towing, taking 4-6 people up skiing in snow. Suprised me a lot with amount of traction they are able to muster, and I have had compliments on them occassionally...

Good in snow, don't hydroplane easily. I got them because I did not know if I wanted a M/T and they were cheaper for me than the BFG A/T and had very good reviews on tire sites. That and a friend ran through 2 sets on his Bronco and never once had a flat or any problem at all.

The good things shine when they're gone

So I just swapped out my aged Dueler AT's for a set of Cooper Discoverer ATs, and it really wasn't until then I noticed the differences.

I managed to squeak about 77K out of the Duelers, but they were worn to the point that I hydroplaned on the slightest bit of water and weren't worth crap in the snow. In their defense however, given their age and wear, dry handling was amazing. The "Dual Layer Tread Compound" or whatever Bridgestone brags about in their UNI-T gimmick must hold some water... nary a squeak or slip would result from hard cornering even when the treads were seeing their last days. The brand new Coops squak like an underfed parrot under the slightest rear tire spin and hard corner. After 75K miles, the sidewalls still looked great, solid and never had a single blowout or flat (no nails, leaky valvestems, etc). They tracked straight, and aside from a slight highway hum when new, were very solid.

Good tires for the money if you can squeak them out for under $100 (not easy in the 16" size range). Pleased overall and I'd consider going back to them in a heartbeat

Where can I get the Duelers for under $100? I found my size (16's) for $117 at tirerack.com and the place i was going to have install them were going to charge me close to $150- when i told them i found the tires for cheaper they said they would match tirerack.com's price of $117 per tire.... go or no go?

tirerack.com has the Duelers for $88 (P255/70R16), plus figure $10 shipping and $12 mount/balance so about $110/tire out the door. When I bought my Duelers back in '99 from the Firestone dealer, they got $126/tire including road hazard warranty. I quoted them again this time around and the price hasn't changed any. Not sure how you got $117 from tirerack unless you're looking at a much larger tire.

I got the Coops for $84/tire and didn't have to pay shipping (a friend hauled them up from Chicago), and they came highly recommended as a good bang-for-the-buck tire. We'll see how they fare once the harsh U.P. winter sets in.

I searched and searched for mine. I had to get them at a little shop in Colorado Springs as everyone wanted at least a C-Note for a tire (with no warranty or nothin') in both the Springs and Denver. I got them for $125 a tire with free lifetime rotation and balancing (no limit) as well as road hazard and I believe they will credit me for a mileage warranty, Pro rated for mileage, though I may have to buy the same tire again. I think next is mudders. The company is Tire King. They I think got them for me at (no additions) about $95 + or- some change per tire.

I agree, I can't spin them at all hardly in the wet. Nor do they even chirp under hard turns...IMO they are some of the better A/T's around for the $$, hell even if not for the $$...

Well I did it. Just picked up my set of 33x12.5 Dueler M/Ts. Can't wait to get them on the trail next week. I should be pretty capable with the lift, front locker and tires.

--Sean

sean, have you tried them yet? i am actually looking at getting the 33x12.5/15s instead of 35s.... fitting with 5" or so of lift, trimming and rims like alecs.... front and rear lockers as well.... probably just going to keep the 3.73 gears, im lazy and broke....

I have them right now on mine. Love 'em. Just went on these muddy trails around this lake the other day, and they are bout 50% worn. They did great and i am two wheel drive. I'm just lucky enough to have the 5.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back