Brief Squealing Noise on Warm Engine Startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brief Squealing Noise on Warm Engine Startup

Greatlakes08

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
I have searched through many posts on the forum and only found posts that mention squealing on cold start. My explorer does not squeal when first started but as I run around doing erands and turn the car off briefly while I run into the store and then turn it back on I get a brief squeal and then it stops. Any suiggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the same thing. make sure your power steering fluid is up, they like to squeak when low. In the end it was my belt. I ended up replacing it with a Continental and haven't looked back.

The power steering fluid is at the correct level so I am good there. I have examined the belt and it looks to be in good condition but I am not sure of the brand. Is the continental belt thicker? Should I check the belt tenioner setting if there is one?

Check the belt for glazing (glossy spots or streaks on the reverse side of the belt). It is strange that it only happens after warmup, but sometimes leaks can occur that contact the belt and cause it to slip.

Pulleys sometimes make a squeal at different temperature ranges, you can use an automotive stethoscope to diagnose them.

Hope this helps.

Continental belts have grips on the face of them, doesn't allow them to slip and cause the squeak noise. The one I replaced looked fine, but it was the culprit. Continental belts used to be good year gators before continental bought the rights.

My water pump died and it sounded like a bad serpentine belt. With my new belt installed I continued to have chirping and squealing. With the belt off, I ran the motor for a few minutes with no chirping or squealing. Lots of aluminum shavings in the Thermostat housing.

Back