"Bring It" Project -- 86 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Bring It" Project -- 86 Ranger

Ok... The parts chasing is coming to an end -- for now at least. I'm about to finally embark on the Ranger project that has been so long in the waiting/planning stages.

A couple of pics -- yes, I'm really starting to work on this project! :D

The tow rig... Mama's '03 Trailblazer. 292 hp under the hood, reinforced tranny, tow rating of 6200#. It works and it is nice to drive.

Tow_Rig.jpg

The donor pig... Yuppers -- THIS pig is supplying a lot of the bacon...

donor_vehicle.jpg

Driver's side drop Dana 44 -- soon to get 8 lug, full floater hubs to match the rear. (And yes, the passenger side drop axle, t-case, transmission, etc., are for sale out of the donor!)

front_donor_axle.jpg

The rear Dana 60

Donor_axle.jpg

The donor motor -- 4.0 liters of butt-kicking power (well, at least it will pull the truck around and be light weight!).

Ranger_motor.jpg

The "not-so-innocent-victim"...

Ranger_stripped.jpg

My wife has named this project... When I told her what I was doing, and showed her a picture of what it would be, she just said, "Bring it!" Here it is "dreaming" of bigger and better days!

Ranger_dreams.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is going to be a beast. What gears going to run and size tires?

Beast -- yes...

Tires are 38.5 X 15.5 X 15 Swamper TSL radials that will be grooved and siped. The tires are in the last pic.

Gears are 5.13 pushed by a 4.0 liter Explorer engine, a C5 tranny, and a doubler T-case. Gear ratios work out to about a stock ratio without the doubler -- with it they are way steep for serious crawling. (About 120:1)

this thing will be crazy

Is the C5 strong enough?

rookieshooter said:
Is the C5 strong enough?

It has the same internals as the C4, so it will be when I get done with it... :D

I've built a lot of those babies back in the day -- one behind my 400 HP Ford van that weighed 6600#. It would lift the front tires going into 2nd and hit high at 92 MPH. It did fine.

The transmissions in our Rangers and Explorers are all based on the C3 platform (A4Ld, 4R55, 5R55 series), so a C4 is actually an increase in strength over the best we can put together based on a stocker. Larger and more clutches, etc. No overdrive, which I'll never use in this project anyway.

Oh -- I scored the C5 core today for $60. I found the special bell housing the other day for $25. I love low buck deals... :D

38s WOW! Do you have to do a lot of trimming of fenders and more important, how about tires hitting shocks, radius arms or what ever? Seems this could be a problem when turning the steering wheel lock to lock and cutting down your turning radius.

I sent you a PM also.

rookieshooter said:
38s WOW! Do you have to do a lot of trimming of fenders and more important, how about tires hitting shocks, radius arms or what ever? Seems this could be a problem when turning the steering wheel lock to lock and cutting down your turning radius.

I sent you a PM also.

What fenders???

The truck is getting full-sized axles, and everything that gets in the way will be cut. The picture with the 38 sitting in front of the stock wheel is just for grins. The truck will sit a tad higher (not any more than is needed though) when the axle gets stuck under there. I'll also likely push the front out a bit so that the tires are the first thing to hit whatever they're going to hit.

All the other suspension links will be custom built for this project, so everything will fit and work. That last picture is about where everything will be at full stuff. I'll have to trim the under-fender supports a bit, but as you can see from the pic, it is almost a perfect fit already. Ford gave us a generous curve in the inner fender pannels and the rest will be tube anyway.

My 35"s on full compression will rub in the two blue areas when the wheel is turned. It just kisses but there is still a bit of contact. I need to install some bump stops so I dont kill my leafs from going so far negative arch. This truck will be slick when done. Cant wait to see the build up take place.

Attachments

• Ranger_dreams.jpg
    Ranger_dreams.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,526

Well... This project has been in a holding pattern for quite some time as I gathered both material, money, parts, and time to get back at it. It's ended up being a weird summer again, and another summer shot by having to move, but I'm back at it! :lol:

Here are a couple teaser shots of the front axle install.

I'm making progress and should have it "rolling" by early next week or so.

Along the way, I've managed to collect a C4 tranny, all the parts needed to convert it to 4x4 use (tail housing, shaft, bell housing for a 4.0, deep {rare!} of-road pan, kevlar band, etc.), lots of steel, including 2" x .250 wall DOM for the lower links, RE lower (cut up for the long-arm) and adjustable upper links, and new body mounts, etc.

Here ya go:
Front_Axle_1.jpg

Front_Axle_2.jpg

geebus! Nice work so far on that monster!
$60 C5? Wow....So cal people would be all over that sucker! They are getting harder to find.......

who makes that truss?

This is gonna be good :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that's a cut down Ruff Stuff axle truss?

The entire braket kit is Rubicon Express. The truss is cut down to fit my Dana 44. It is designed for the high pinion version, and seemingly, this axle has an entirely different center section that is wider! That may be a Jeep thing, or just the low pinion axle (which isn't all that low-pinioned... more like "mid").

And, yes, I got the tranny for cheap... Got the tailhousing and shaft for cheap (plus the dude threw in a couple of deep pans!)... Got the bellhousing for cheap ($25!) Best part is that the tranny is mint on the inside!

I do a lot of trading and scrounging for parts. Patience is a virtue -- especially when there is a decided lack of cash... :D

The way it is looking, initially, the shorter C5 will work almost perfectly with the DD Machine doubler kit to almost equal the length of a stock A4LD. I'll have a nice crawl ratio with the doubler and 5.13 gears, even with the 38s (which actually measure to around 37 as mounted on my wheels).

Anyone need an NP435? Got one for sale or trade -- has to go ASAP! Nice crawl ration on the low gear!

glfredrick said:
The entire braket kit is Rubicon Express. The truss is cut down to fit my Dana 44. It is designed for the high pinion version, and seemingly, this axle has an entirely different center section that is wider! That may be a Jeep thing, or just the low pinion axle (which isn't all that low-pinioned... more like "mid").

yea i have the same axle is why i asked, i actaully cut the spring perch on the driverside of the cast off.

redranger4.0 said:
yea i have the same axle is why i asked, i actually cut the spring perch on the driverside of the cast off.

I didn't totally remove it, but I did shave it (along with the entire bottom of the housing) so that it wasn't' so in the way and obtrusive.

I'm in process of figuring out the links right now. I thought that they would attach to my new transmission mount, but they are too wide for that. I'll probably make another new tranny mount out of tube, and then make a set of brackets for the frame to mount the out-board ends of the links. It will probably look almost like a heavy duty shackle hanger...

yea thats what mine are, got these from ruffstuffspecialties.com

DSC_0006.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glfredrick said:
I like how the ruff stuff boxes are skid-plated... I'm going to be doing some of that to mine as well. :D

yea it cost me a few dollars more but its defidently worth it

Back