BRINGING A OLD JET BOAT BACK TO LIFE | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

BRINGING A OLD JET BOAT BACK TO LIFE

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Waterproof boat cover? They've got to make them.
They do, but not for that boat. I looked at a bunch of sites that sell boat covers, and none mention a Miller. It would have to be a generic cover that would not fit very well as its a unique older boat. I was thinking of getting a case of Scotch Guard, hanging the cover on something other than the boat and going to town. That will probably be what I try next because it should allow it to still breathe to let condensation out.

Picture of covered boat.
20210430_124053.jpg

Sometimes when I post a question, I come up with a solution because I thought it out and wrote it down. I am going to order a couple gallons of this stuff and see how that works.
Amazon product

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I have heard about this product but have not tried it myself yet.

Amazon product

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I pulled the cover off to let it air out since the carpet is wet. I decided to check the oil and its nice and clean, but has a gas smell. I think some gas got past the piston rings when it was flooding. I am going to change the oil, and drain and reuse the filter. I use 20W-50 Lucas Hot Rod oil so I ordered another gallon. Filter is a oversized Wix super duper ultra thingamajig. I'm 90% sure it would be fine, but I don't want to take any chances with the engine.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The Explorer wheels I got from Stic-O cleaned up pretty good
20210831_092557.jpg

This seemed like it was the theme of the drive up there on a Saturday. Just imagine what a weekday is like.
20210828_143802.jpg

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
The traffic is almost worse on the weekends then the weekdays now.

However it's still not back to pre pandemic yet... Thank God!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I was worried about using wheel spacers on trailer hubs, but apparently its a thing with overlanders putting 1.5-2" spacers for wheels to match their Jeeps or Tacomas. If spacers don't wear out the bearings prematurely on a overlanding trailer, I am not going to worry about it with a boat trailer that gets little use. Need to pull one of the hubs to source the correct hub grease seals as 3 of the 4 appear to be leaking.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Will the tire clear the outer fender with a spacer? They look pretty tucked up in there.
The wheels won't fit into the fenders with the 235/75/15 tires on them. I need to get a wheel over to a tire store and get one 205/70/15 tire before I can check side to side clearances. The current trailer wheels are the same width, with 205/75/14 tires, and just about a inch difference in back spacing so the spacers shouldn't matter. The trailer originally had 15x7" wheels on it. Once I get the new tires on the new wheels, I can figure out what size spacers I need to get the tires centered, or a little out towards the outer edge of the fender. Those 15" wheels should look really cool because the rim edge will be right about even with the edge of the fender.

I thought I was going to have to pull one of the hubs to see what size grease seal they have, but then I found this in a little pouch in the boat. This has to be for the hub grease seals since there is nothing else on the trailer that has needs to be sealed. Thanks Pop's
20210901_152331.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The more I look up tires on line, the more I have come to realize that there are no 205/70/15 trailer tires. I am now fairly certain that the trailer used to have 205/75/15's instead of the current 205/75/14's. That is probably the most common trailer tire there is available for a 15" wheel. They look like they will clear as its only about 1" taller tire, which really means its only 1/2" taller. It will also raise the trailer slightly, which would be nice because the skeg on the bottom of the jet hangs very low.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I called Discount Tire today. They said no problem when I asked if I could purchase one 205/75/15 trailer tire to check for clearances. If it doesn't fit, or it all seems like more trouble than its worth to get it to fit, then I can return it and get a new set of 205/75/14's on the current rims.

If it was just the money, it would break down like this

New set of 4 205/75/14's on the current chrome trailer rims with certs, mounted and balanced = $299.00 out the door. I can have them throw one of old tires onto the spare wheel that is with the trailer for free.

New set of 5 205/75/15's on the Explorer rims with certs, mounted and balanced = $474.32 out the door, plus I would need to buy spacers to clear the trailer fenders for about $100. The 5th tire is because I would need a spare on the Explorer spare rim because with wheel spacers the spare I have won't fit anymore.

Well, now that I did the math this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to gain 1/2" of clearance and have aluminum trailer wheels on a freshwater only boat trailer. They would look cool on there, but I'm not sure its double the money for tires cool. It was worth the gas money going up to pick the Explorer rims up just to spend a little time with Stic-O and his crew, and it was an excuse to get out of a house full of the wife's relatives for the day. I am now thinking I might be CL-ing the Explorer wheels.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I decided it wasn't worth the time, trouble and extra money to use the Explorer wheels on the boat trailer. I dropped the trailer wheels off at Discount Tire today for new tires.

If anyone wants a nice set of OEM 15x7" Explorer wheels with caps and lug nuts, they can have them. Just need to come and pick them up, or I can deliver if we are going to be in the same general area. If no one wants them in a few weeks, or when I get tired of looking at them, I will put them on CL.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I used a little over a gallon of the Star Brite waterproofing on the boat cover. Its a fairly simple process. I hung the cover on a piece of rope and spread it out like a tent fly. I cleaned the cover with a little laundry detergent in water and used a garden sprayer to soak the cover, scrubbed the noticeably soiled spots, then hosed it clean. After it dried, I applied the waterproofing with the same garden sprayer, soaking the canvas. I let it dry for about 9 hours, then put it on the boat. Water is currently beading up on it and not soaking through the fabric, and it has UV protectants in it so it should help the cover's longevity. Time will tell, but for now its keeping moisture out of the inside of the boat.

Today, I'm going to start on cleaning the hubs, repainting the outside of them, and repacking the wheel bearings with new seals.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Pulled the left side hubs off. I cleaned one of them up, and the bearings. The grease seals are worn almost flat. Bearings look OK, but look great for a 40 year old boat trailer. The races have wear marks in them. If I didn't have another issue, I don't think I would replace them. These axle spindles appear to have come with very thin stainless wear sleeves for the grease seals. They slip onto the spindle. They are worn out.

The best one is worn through where it would be contacted by the bearing, the other one is missing a piece, which I assume I will find when I clean up that hub.
Bad
20210914_141928.jpg

Way worse
20210914_141934.jpg

I tried to source them on-line but I could not find the correct dimensions, but its hard to tell what dimensions they are because they have so much wear. The spindles shows zero wear at the location the grease seal would make contact, so they are not a repair kit, and they have blue powder coating on them that matches the trailer so they must have been OEM.

I called a local trailer supply place that has lots of parts and they think they might have some there, so I am headed there in the AM. They are not sure of the sizes and its possible they are not available anymore. They are only 0.02" thick so I think the seal would still do its job if they were not there. I'll find out tomorrow.

Its always an adventure working on this old stuff.

Spindle. The grease seal contact area is machined, just dirty in the picture.
20210914_141914.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Trailer supply place I went to said no one makes those wear sleeves in that size anymore. He also said they shouldn't pull off by hand as they are pressed on. The spot where the grease seal contacts the spindle is machined, like I mentioned earlier, but the trailer guys told me its the correct diameter for the seals, without the wear sleeves. Means I should not have any issues with them not being there. Guy remarked that he has never seen a 40 year old boat trailer hub that looked that good. He was showing it to another counter monkey when I mentioned they have never been in salt water. He still says he had never seen one look that good.

I decided to replace all the wheel bearings while I had the hubs off. I assembly lined all four hubs, knocked out the old races, installed new, cleaned them up, repacked all the new wheel bearings by hand (the only way to do them) and dropped them in, installed the grease seals, back on the trailer, etc. I got it all back together Wednesday. I did notice some excessive corrosion on a few of the wheel studs that I will eventually need to replace. Picked up the new tires and installed them yesterday. Today I replaced the side marker lights as they were mismatched and the only incandescent bulbs left. I'm done with the trailer for now. For the boat, I need to change the oil one more time, check the carb float levels one more time, and she will be ready for the river. I'm going to hold off on replacing the carpet for now.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Wow, for the age of that boat, that's a really good shine.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Wow, for the age of that boat, that's a really good shine.
Freshwater only, stored in a garage, and well loved makes for a nice old boat.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
It rained hard yesterday for a few hours here. The boat cover waterproofing kept the water out of the boat so that issue is solved.

Couple more shiny boat pictures.
20210919_155131.jpg

20210919_155143.jpg

This is the stuff I used on the finish. Works good on the RV as well.
20210920_095739.jpg

I keep looking at the old carpet, but then keep deciding to hold off on replacing it. I'm going to try and wait until my shop is built in Arizona and the boat moves there. It would be a lot easier to work on it in a large enclosed space.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The place were the boat is usually parked is killing the grass that's in between the concrete runners. I decided to rip out the grass and replace it with rock. I ended up making a shallow dry stream bed type delio. I must have shoveled about 4,000 pounds of rock over three days.

20210930_102658.jpg

20210930_102717.jpg

I still need to pack the rocks down a little more along the wall. Its packed down fairly well because I moved the rocks around by hand to fit them together. The gap between the wall and concrete used to be filled with the Mohave pebble that is now the stream bed. It was about a yard of material. I dug it out of where it was and it was four wheel barrow loads of heavy. I also used it to stabilize the rock and fill in the gaps of the 2-4" cobble I used. The cobble used was a full yard of material. I think it came out pretty good. I am planning on putting the boat back there tomorrow and have a nice big flat rock for the trailer jack to rest on. Boat has a stream at home now, even if its made out of rocks. It will drop the water bill a little as well.