Broke a rusted water pump bolt on my sons car. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke a rusted water pump bolt on my sons car.

JoeMahma

Reaction score
City, State
Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I know this isn't the place to ask a Cavalier question but I figured all broken bolts are the same and I use this section of the forum the most so... I broke a completely rusted bolt off on my sons water pump. I have about a quarter of an inch of the threads sticking out to get a hold of and have been soaking it with PB Blaster. Anyone ever use the Craftsman bolt out sockets? Just wondering if it's worth going out and buying a set. It's a small bolt (8mm) so I'm not even sure if I can get one of those sockets that small. Any input is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would probably drill it out with a smaller bit and get an EZOUT tool it is a square looking tool with a groove in one side , amde for doing this,,

one of the benefits of drilling the bolt out is it gets hot,, as it gets hot it breaks the seal of the rust that is holding the bolt in ,
just make sure you use a punch with a pointed tip to set a point that you start drilling from to center the drill bit,,

Yep, easy out is the way to go. If the head broke off at an angle, I'd try to file/grind it flatter to help drill the hole better for the easy out.

If I do it that way the entire timing chain cover has to come off so that I can drill it. Last resort I guess. :(

Don't go the EZ out route yet!!! If that bolt is seized enough to break, it ain't gonna come out without a fight!! LOL An EZ out probably won't do it.

If you have that much available to work with, keep soaking, then hit it with some heat. As it starts to cool, hit it with some more penetrating oil. Then, while still hot, see if you can twist it out with some vice grips. That will usually work. You can also weld a nut onto what is left and use a wrench. The heat from welding will probably do the trick. If those methods fail, then it's time to pull the cover and drill, tap, or EZ out.

Don't go the EZ out route yet!!! If that bolt is seized enough to break, it ain't gonna come out without a fight!! LOL An EZ out probably won't do it.

If you have that much available to work with, keep soaking, then hit it with some heat. As it starts to cool, hit it with some more penetrating oil. Then, while still hot, see if you can twist it out with some vice grips. That will usually work. You can also weld a nut onto what is left and use a wrench. The heat from welding will probably do the trick. If those methods fail, then it's time to pull the cover and drill, tap, or EZ out.

I'm with ya Cobra. Been soaking it all morning and with heat a couple of times. Gonna let it sit overnight and try to get er done tomorrow. Wish me luck...the boy needs his car so I can have my truck back!!! :D

Got that B**ch out with the heat and vice grips! Thanks for your input everyone. :D:D:D:D

Man...there is no better feeling than feeling something that tight finally break loose...

:D

Got that B**ch out with the heat and vice grips! Thanks for your input everyone. :D:D:D:D

Hey Joemahma, what did you use to heat up that bolt?

Back