Broke down, won't start, 92' Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke down, won't start, 92' Explorer

Rolkin

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Busiest street in town always is... I was sitting at a stop light ( 92' Explorer XLT) some yahoo sat through the green light so right before I even hit the gas pedal to pull into the left lane it started to die like it was out of gas or not firing right.

Tried and failed to pull into the bank next to me but it wouldn't restart. Well it would start for about 1.5 secs and die.

Just got it towed home and had my dad look at it, he's not sure says it's got spark but it was yellow? Guess it's suppose to be blue. There was a valve on the gas line that was spraying a good stream of gas so it's got pressure. When he was there it would only try and run while I was turning it over, as soon as I let off the starter it would die again.

He was thinking it was out of gas but unless my gas gauge is gone and that stream of gas means nothing... I still doubt it's out of gas I just put gas in it a couple days ago.

So anyway he thought it might be the fuel filter but I told him it's been running great right up until 2 secs before it died.

You guys have helped me out before so once again please and thank you for any ideas to what it might be.

Like I said right now it turns over, I have fuel pressure, the starter goes great and it kinda starts running but only while i'm turning it over and for maybe 1 second after I let off the starter. The only weird thing I saw was that the air filter cover was loose, but he said the sensor looked fine so that shouldn't be causing any problems. He's stumped so anyone that has experience with this or any idea in general would be very helpful. Missing side work I need because it's not running so it's kinda stressing me out ;)

My aunt lives in Springfield! Say Hi for me!

Now about your problem, to a novice like me it sounds like a timing belt/chain or starter problem, or maybe the fuel pump switch that tends to need resetting on these Explorers. You can use the search feature here for how to do it.

If you are not good at repair, as you can tell I am not, try taking it to Midas or someplace like it, that will look at it for free and give you a complete diagnostic of what is wrong -- FREE! :)

If you are strapped for cash, who isn't, you can just take what they told you and try to repair it over time, or call around and find someone who can do the jobs for less if you have buy the parts first etc...

That is my standard advice, maybe someone can be of more help.

Good Luck!

Joe.

Couple of things to consider: check all the vacuum lines on the vacuum tree near the firewall on the drivers side. Also, will it continue to at least run (although poorly) if you keep you foot in it? If so, that's an indication that it could be a vacuum problem.

No unfortuantly flooding it makes no difference it just keeps sputtering and then dies.

there was a vaccum line that was broken it was real small like the size of 12 wire, can't remember what he said it was for but he didn't think that'd have much to do with it.

when I first bought the truck I made a post and I it should still be on here it has a picture of a vaccum line that I couldn't figure out what it was for. someone just stuck a bolt in it and clamped it down.

lets see here ... ahha

http://home.mchsi.com/~melanie.schroder/vacuum.jpg

I think that little wire in the middle of the tree is the one that's broken now... plus the bolts still in the big hose

Back