Broke the drivers door handle--94 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke the drivers door handle--94 XLT

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I tore into the door panel. What I thought was the door handle turns out to be the rod clip snapped off. I "THINK" I can score one at NAPA.

The big problem I see now is visual. Getting my hand down there on the latch to re-connect the yellow plastic tap that snaps over the threaded part of the rod.

AND--I broke the door handle on the panel,. Snapped it right off. Looks like the plastic let loose on the panel, leaving the handle in my hand with two screws.

Getting this back together will be a chore for an old man like me.

Extra Credit for Rus--"I did figure out what that box was in the middle of the door behind the panel---window automatic down and up" YEAH!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: I did search and viewed the YouTube video. AND--for $19 just ordered a tan drives side door handle part off Ebay. AND an outer door handle. My worry is going to be reconnecting that yellow clip at the bottom of the rod...

Try a long handled hose tool or long pick. Maybe if you have double joined angle needlenose pliers holding the rod, then use the pick or hose tool to push the clip onto rod?

I have had to do this a bunch on E series and also heavy trucks. I think I ended up making a tool from some flat bar, made a notch in the end to pry on. Also, you'd be surprised at what can be fished through remote holes using some mechanic's wire. I have also slid blocks of wood into the door panel to support the back of the rod so that the plastic clip thing can be pried on, otherwise the rod just moves. this may or may not help it's just generic door rod clip info.
Let us know how you made out.

Not sure if 1991-94 is like 95-01, but the window run channel may be held by one bolt with wiring attached.
Pulling it straight down and laying it in the bottom of the door will give you much more room to work.

almost the same as the 2nd generation, I found a pack of clips at NAPA. While it was a total ***** to push the lock over the rod, it finally locked on. I then put a small zip tie over it.

The window channel guide had to be removed, like the 2nd gen

Back