• Register Today It's free!

broken 4wd motor?

aleej

Reaction score
City, State
north & south brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97sport/95ram/87trooper
ok so i think i blew up my 4wd motor.. i can shift it into 4wd low or high.. although im pretty sure my auto 4wd still works.... so what do yall think blown motor.. blown shift gear?.. help please... and whatever it is that broken... where can i get another one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's your 4wd transfer case motor, you can get them on E-bay DIRT cheap. I got mine from there for under $100...

If you can get it into 4LO, then the motor is okay. The motor is not responsible for 4wd engagement, that is left to an electromagnetically engaged clutch system.

thats the thing tho... i cant make it go into 4wd.. when i turn the knob nothing happens.... but im pretty sure the auto 4wd works.. cuz a couple times its gotten stuck in 4 high after engaging auto 4wd... is there a way to check indefinitly if its the motor or what?

thats the thing tho... i cant make it go into 4wd.. when i turn the knob nothing happens.... but im pretty sure the auto 4wd works.. cuz a couple times its gotten stuck in 4 high after engaging auto 4wd... is there a way to check indefinitly if its the motor or what?

As IZWack already mentioned, if it shifts into 4low, it's NOT the motor. The motor is not responsible for transfer case lockup. If Auto works, but it won't lock into 4high, there is an electrical gremlin we need to ferret out. It's not the transfer case shift motor.

so its possible that it is infact the actual 4wd motor (encodor motor i think they call it)

No, it's not possible.

Let's start from the beginning: What exactly is the system doing or not doing, and under what conditions is it doing it?

When you flip the switch to 4high, does the light come on?

If you stop, put the vehicle in neutral, with your foot on the brakes and flip the switch to 4low, what happens? Note: you must be stopped, in neutral, with your foot on the brakes (clutch pressed in if it's a manual) before shifting into or out of 4low.

-Joe

nothing.. when i turn the switch nothing happens.. i can not make it go into 4wd... although im pretty sure the auto 4wd still works... but again i can not make it do it.. no lights come on and it does not engage :(

OK, first we need to know whether or not the auto 4wd works. Find a dirt road or loose gravel parking lot and try to brake-torque the rear wheels. If the front wheels engage when the rear wheels break loose, then we know that the auto 4wd is working. If you can do a tire-roasting burn-out, then the 4wd is not working. It's that simple.

If you'd rather, put the vehicle on jack stands, put it in 1st gear, and see if the front driveshaft turns. See if you can hold it (the front driveshaft)by hand.

well im pretty sure that the auto works.. cuz i still wheel it and ive never lost traction .. i can burn tires.. i dont even loose it in the rain or snow..

ok so i took another look at it and my auto definitly works... any ideas

Check fuses 28, 10 and 20 (all 7.5A minis) in the interior fuse panel. Check for power into the 4wd switch via the W/LB wire, and continuity through the switch between the W/LB wire and the GY/R wire terminals. (the other two are for the light)

Unplug the TOD relay in the dash. (right side of stereo opening) With the vehicle idling in park, switch set to 4high, and check for power at the brown wire at the transfer case connection using a multimeter (a test light won't work).

If auto works, it's not a mechanical issue with the transfer case.

-Joe

Check fuses 28, 10 and 20 (all 7.5A minis) in the interior fuse panel. Check for power into the 4wd switch via the W/LB wire, and continuity through the switch between the W/LB wire and the GY/R wire terminals. (the other two are for the light)

Unplug the TOD relay in the dash. (right side of stereo opening) With the vehicle idling in park, switch set to 4high, and check for power at the brown wire at the transfer case connection using a multimeter (a test light won't work).

If auto works, it's not a mechanical issue with the transfer case.

-Joe

well my 4lo and 4 high lights on my dash were linking for a while they were blinking 6 times with 2 minute intervuls in between do u think that maeans anything?

Umm, OK, it would help if I had the whole story right from the start......

The blinking lights mean the system has detected a fault and a code has been stored. You'll need to have the GEM scanned to retreive that code (by a dealership or a good independent shop that has an NGS or WDS system).

There are a number of items that can cause the system to fail. The most common cause is a bad axle speed sensor on the rear axle, but your 97 has the rear shaft speed sensor on the transfer case, so the rear axle speed sensor is not going to help your problem.

so then i have to take i t to a dealer... that sux... do u think all data would say anything about it..

Back