• Register Today It's free!

Broken 8" Ford rear axle:

tur370

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1928 Ford roadster pickup
Sorry, but this rear end is in a `28 Ford roadster pickup. The axle broke off at the bearing while going up a slow mountain road to Crestline Ca. How do I get what's left of the axle out? Any help would be welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a true 8" (not a 8.8"), and not modified for discs, you'll probably have to remove the backing plate for the rear brakes (which should have the bearing cover integral in it), and pull the axle out. If it's an 8.8" rear, you'll have to remove the rear cover, pull the cross pin and then pull the c-clip off what's left of the axle.

Broken axle shaft:

Thanks for the quick reply. The axle broke off flush with the axle bearing. There is nothing to grab on to. I took the backing plate off. How can I break up the bearing so it will release the axle? Thanks for any help.

Best bet would probably be to drill into the axle, tap the hole and put a bolt in it so you can pull on it. Either that or try to drill through the bearing and do the same.

BTW..welcome to the board!

Aaanndd..I'm moving this to the "All other Makes & Models Category

Thanks, will do. Say, I've been in Cal since `52 but I grew up in Ellwood City Pa 50 miles north of Pittsburgh. Thanks again.

How about a welder and a steel bar etc. to weld to it? Surely though you can get a hold of it somehow. Nothing holds it in place, if not warped it should slide out with little effort. Good luck,

Back