• Register Today It's free!

Broken antenna

kaelin

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I received my shark fin today. Went out to check the color on it. Looks great but noticed the top of my stock antenna was ripped off. Not sure how it happened. I know I didn't run into anything. I haven't been in any low garages. Very odd. Could explain the poor HD radio reception I've been getting.

IMG_20121119_194046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

car wash? Good thing is that you now have the sharkfin to replace it with.

I received my shark fin today. Went out to check the color on it. Looks great but noticed the top of my stock antenna was ripped off. Not sure how it happened. I know I didn't run into anything. I haven't been in any low garages. Very odd. Could explain the poor HD radio reception I've been getting.
That is odd indeed. It almost looks like it was cut. I'm not sure how much that would affect your reception. In any case, since you are replacing it then it won't really matter anyhow. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks, new member, did the rear console.

Hello ALL,

We started looking at the 2014 / 2015 Explore back in July. Once we decided to buy I found a web site that showed all of the inventories on the lot in Texas where I live. Looking for hours I could NOT find a vehicle in stock that met all of my needs and desires. It seemed that if you wanted a Black one with rear bucket seats and tow package you got no console. If you bought with all the goodies and paid $50 k then the console was in about 1/3 of them. Interior color seemed to make it even harder since Black was desired.

Before buying I landed here and saw this thread about the rear console for the Explorer. That made it much easier to find the Explorer I wanted since the console was now NOT an issue. We bought the 2015 for my wife.

I got my local dealer to come close to the online pricing noted here. With shipping and sales tax there was only $20 difference between online and my dealer. Kept the cash local. HAhaaa.

Anyway, as others have noted, the install was a snap! Took me 10 minutes to get my tools together. Took all of 8 minutes to install. Placed the console in with the 2 rear screws, located and tapped down through the carpet with a very long #2 Phillips screw driver and then used the ole Dewalt Drill with the front screw stuffed in the socket and drove the screws in and tightend all 4 by hand just snug. Literally took less time than me typing this.

Thanks all who posted about this subject. Made it real easy. Now onto why the heck my roof antenna is loose!!!!!

BDRAG

Welcome to the Forum BDRAG.:wavey:
Is it just the small antenna mast or the whole base that is loose? There have been a few members that picked up their Explorers from the dealer and found that the antenna had not been screwed into the base and wondered why reception wasn't very good.:)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum BDRAG.:wavey:
Is it just the small antenna mast or the whole base that is loose? There have been a few members that picked up their Explorers from the dealer and found that the antenna had not been screwed into the base and wondered why reception wasn't very good.:)

Peter

Its the whole base. I tried looking on line at parts fish and can't see how its attached. The poor sales kid had to call me after getting the vehicle to their lot from another network dealer and we had the time set to come do the deal and he tells me there is an issue with the antenna. WOW! Do I tell the wife and have her FREAK at something not being correct on a new car???? HAhaaaa.

Sales kid claims his guy looked at it and says it won't leak water but that the whole dang headliner has to come down to access it? HOLY COW!

I decided this is no bad omen but just a late shift slacker at work most likely. HAhaaa. So we went and did the deal. So in the mean time I have this clear tape I put on motorcycle tanks to protect the paint from tank bag magnets and so on. The glue is tough but it peels off easy and leaves no residue. Its very pliable so I cut a few strips and made a temporary gasket seal around the outside of the base just to make sure water does not migrate in.

I plan on dropping it by the dealer for the first oil change and will have it repaired at that time. Hope like HELL its an easy fix.

Should I just go buy one of those low profile antennas?

BDRAG

It is attached from underneath with one bolt (think it is a 10 MM). I will check the OEM Service Manual and see what it says is supposed to come out to get to it. You might be able to remove the weather strip in the upper rear and just reach in and get to it.

Jason

It says the D and C pillar trim should be removed.

It says the D and C pillar trim should be removed.

Ok, So is the base glued or is there an adhesive tape on the OEM base or just the 1 screw?? Looks like the break buzzer went off and the lime mechanic stopped mid stream. LOL! We will see.

The Shark fin looks fine to me but just how loose will the OEM base get without being attached correctly? That would be my worry with slapping a fin over it. Thanks guys.........

BDRAG

Just one screw. A metal clip pulls it down tight to seal it

Did you get it squared away? I have a similar antenna from a Taurus I can take some pics of so you understand how it attaches.

Did you get it squared away? I have a similar antenna from a Taurus I can take some pics of so you understand how it attaches.

Hey thanks, No, I am going to let the dealer deal with it per the wife, when we let them do the first oil change and give them a list of any other items that need addressing. So far its just the antenna. Did I mention I did make a temporary seal out of some stuff called Trim-Brite, a rocker panel clear tape. It is very pliable and peels off with no residue. Cut a few 1/2" wide strips and rolled it against the base and the roof from the rear forward so the over lap in the small strips do not allow water in. Its a 99% good fix for short term. I will NOT be running it through any car washes till its repaired. HAhaaa.

Thanks for the help.

BDRAG

Back