Broken Automatic Shifter (not just loose and sloppy) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Automatic Shifter (not just loose and sloppy)

AP9

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago SW suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6
Just want to make sure I'm on the right track here . . .

To make a long story short, over the past few months I had noticed the shifter become slightly sloppy; in fact a couple times I had it start to roll away in Park, which can be a bit nerve-racking (parking brake hasn't worked in years as my big clumsy hands are just unable to rebuild the drum-in-hat), and I lost the ability to downshift to 1st.

A few weeks ago, when in the garage I was unable to start -- no power to starter, implying it wasn't locked in P. So I used a bit of force to try to get it into N, and the shifter suddenly gave way as if it broke.

So anyway, I haven't been able to re-start (thinks it is in gear, I am unable to shift at all) and the shifter will freely move, brake pedal depressed or not. I am also unable to remove the key or lock the steering column.

The other day I tightened the very loose Torx bolts on the bracket at the base, and that removed a tiny bit of the slop but I still have no functionality.

Please see video below for a view down the steering column as I attempt to shift..... I at first suspected I had torsionally sheared the shift tube (as I've seen and read about others doing) but when I do this movement of the shifter, the piece at the base by the floor does still move a bit.

Any input from you fine folks?

Back