• Register Today It's free!

BROKEN BLEEDER

NEKRUB

Reaction score
City, State
IOWA CITY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
HEY GUYS LAST NIGHT I ATTEMPTED TO BLEED MY BRAKES AND I BROKE OFF MY REAR BLEEDER VALVE. I HAD BEEN SPRAYING FOR A WEEK AND I HEATED IT AND IT STILL BROKE. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW? I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO CHECK INTO IT MUCH, IT LOOKED LIKE THERE IS A PIECE THAT THE BLEEDER VALVE AND THE BRAKE LINE ARE BOTH ON AND THEY ARE HELD ON WITH 2 BOLTS. I AM NOT SURE HOW TO FIX THOUGH SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to replace that wheel cylinder. It will cost you $10- $15 for the part and take about 45 min. to do.

There are 2 bolts and 1 brake line to disconnect. Put the new wheel cylinder on, bleed the brakes, and you are ready to go. If you still feel like there is air in the lines after the bleed, you may want to do a gravity bleed on all four wheels.

Good Luck

I had the same problem. I was rebuilding original brakes after 120,000 miles of service (Still had pads too). Finally ended up twisting off the bleeder valve. However, I didn't have time to find a used one for $10-20 and went to Auto Zone and got a rebuilt one for about $50.

I did the exact same thing this spring. Go get new(rebuilt) brake calipers. They arent' that expensive, and when you drop the old ones off you'll get some money back. That way you've got brand new parts, and you eliminate one more source of potential problems. My sugestion with bleeding is to get a hand powered bleeder. It looks like a mini-paint spray gun, it's got a handle you can pump with different fittings. It's easy to use suction to get the line clear of air, much easier than just a gravity bleed. Much faster, too! It runs about 15-30 bucks. I think I got mine at autozone. Track auto doesn't carry them.
--Bob

Bummer Dude. I've broken off my share of bleeder valves and the moment it breaks, everybody's thought is exactlly the same."****" . Since yours is on the rear brake cylinder it would be easier to replace the cylinder (unbolt the two bolts, replace w/ new one, then bleed the system). I have been short on cash and had to make due. Unbolt the cylinder, remove all the rubber caps and pistons inside, solder a "button" of brass on the broken valve, then heat the whole thing until red hot and twist out the valve by grabbing the brass nub w/ vise grips. It's a pain, once I took it to my local machine shop and they got it out for $3. Then you still have to buy new rubber caps etc. Spend the $$$ for a new one.

Back