BROKEN CRANKSHAFT ! Anyone else ever had this happen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BROKEN CRANKSHAFT ! Anyone else ever had this happen?

19XLS99

Reaction score
City, State
Western NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I got out of work yesterday and got into my 99 XLS (4.0l OHV w/41000 miles) and started it. It ran for about 5 seconds then BAM ! It sounds like someone hit the engine with a sledge hammer, then it stops running. I look under the hood hoping to see a ripped serpentine belt. No such luck. Looking at the harmonic balancer, I notice it is off the engine and hanging by the belt. A guy I work with tows me home with his F250. I was hoping to find a loose bolt and be back on the road in minutes, wrong. The crankshaft has snapped off flush with the harmonic balancer, so there is about 1 1/2 inches of crankshaft still in my harmonic balancer. I know I'm screwed so the engine is coming out tonight and hopefully I can get it back in with a new crank by the weekend.
So has this happened to anyone else or do just I have really bad luck?
Oh yeah, if anyone knows where to find a crank kit cheap let me know
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford told me where to put my broken crankshaft

First I called the Dealer to tell them about my unfortunate Harmonic balancer departure due to a BROKEN crankshaft. They asked for my VIN and told me there was a recall on a seat bolt. I said "I don't think that will fix my broken crankshaft" he agreed and said he could not do anything since the vehicle is out of warranty.
So I decided to call Ford Customer Service (what an inappropriate name) They gave me the same answer but where a little nicer about it. Oh well two more bolts and I'm ready to pull the motor.
Hopefully the dealer and so called Ford Customer Service wont report they problem to carfax, but I'm sure they will
1999 XLS
41,519 Miles
Mods: removable Harmonic Balancer
Does the L in XLS stand for Lemon? :fire:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most vehicles nowadays come with at least a 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty? I'm assuming that the engine of all things would be included in the powertrain.

Why would they report the problem to Carfax? Carfax doesn't keep track of repairs. Putting in a new crank is probably more $$$ than a low mile motor.

TheJMan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most vehicles nowadays come with at least a 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty? I'm assuming that the engine of all things would be included in the powertrain.
3 years 36,000 miles for these beauties :rolleyes:

Crank

Crankshaft will be about $300 with gaskets and new oil & filter and antifreeze.

Used motor about $600 for a 70k $1000+ for 40k

Labor, and quality time with my Explorer; Priceless

19XLS99 said:
Labor, and quality time with my Explorer; Priceless

Good answer :D Good luck with your project.

Ahh, I didn't assume you'd be tearing into the motor by yourself. :) I don't know if they upgraded the flexplate by 99. You may want to check if you have the 2 stamped pieces welded together. These are weak, and are prone to failure. Ford at least has released an updated 1 piece version.

These broken crankshaft posts scare the beejeebers out of me. They are more prevalent than Ford lets on. Happens with Rangers too.

I feel like I'm sitting on a grenade with the pin pulled, just waiting for it to explode......

Bummer......

Did the break occur at the bottom of the bolt hole?
Are there any casting flaws that are apparent at the spot where it broke?

One theory was that the front main bearing wore a groove into the crank surface, thereby causing it to weaken and eventually break. Your's looks likes it snapped well in front of the main bearing; blowing that theory.

Most posts that I've seen on this problem have the crank breaking between 50-80 K miles. Your's broke very early, but the fact is that no crank should ever break (in normal usage), at any mileage.

This is a design or casting/materials failure.
I am more angry that Ford :hammer: won't acknowledge this than I am at having to replace the crank.
They feel this is acceptable given that it is out of warranty.
Lucky for me I can replace this myself, but what about people who can't turn a wrench. They will be stuck with a bill of at least $1500.
I want to mail the broken piece to the person in charge of Quality Control at Ford, with a note thanking them for a job well done, just have to find out who that is. Blood pressure is rising, think happy thoughts. Oh well S*$T Happens
Just have to deal with it and move on.

Why not just do a complete rebuild while it's opened up? If you're skilled enough to swap the crank shaft, I'm sure a rebuilt would just be adding on a few hours of labor. And yes, you're lucky you know how to do this... I'm pretty handy with a set of tools and am a pretty good DIYer, but if this happened to me, I'd be forced to fork over the $1500. Just like I was forced to fork over $1,200 for my front diffy bearing that was about to 'blow'. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyways, good luck - hope it all finishes smoothly

There are only 41,519 miles on the truck (2 of those from towing it home from work), so it really does not need to be rebuilt. The bearings show almost no wear, and it is very clean inside the engine. :exp:

also the engine is back in and I'm hooking up everything today. With any luck it will be running today or tommorrow

It's back together and running, so far so good, put about 7 miles on it
This site is great thanks to all who replied to my posts

I guess Ford now considers a crankshaft to be a regular preventative maintenance item. Lets see... change oil every 3500 miles. Change crankshaft every 40,000 miles :rolleyes:

Rick said:
I guess Ford now considers a crankshaft to be a regular preventative maintenance item. Lets see... change oil every 3500 miles. Change crankshaft every 40,000 miles :rolleyes:
Ford needs to get their act together. With things like this happening, and their attitude towards the people who buy their vehicles, it's getting harder and harder to defend them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my dad bought a ranger back in the day used and it was a few years old with like 40k miles on it and the engine blew. he raised hell with ford and made them fix it, engines should last longer than that! btw that ranger was the last ford my dad bought, now he only buys toyotas.

Back