• Register Today It's free!

Broken doors

Mumbl3s

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So the best part about having 4 doors is the idea that I can load up my son in the back of this death trap as well as my wife inn the front.

Well the two back doors on my truck are currently just an illusion, the latch isn't connected to either inside or outside door handle so you can't open the door without jamming your hand inside the door and pushing down on the lever on the latch itself.

I'm wondering if anyone had experience with the latch, I'm pulling it out tonight but I don't know if I need specific nuts to attach the lines back to the latch or nahh.

Little help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you love your son you should get him out of that Death Trap and into something safe. These trucks have a history of rolling over and do you think that 'Exploder' is just a friendly nickname? Seriously, you should dump the truck and buy a used Volvo or Saab 4 door for their high safety standards. Do it for the children.

If you love your son you should get him out of that Death Trap and into something safe. These trucks have a history of rolling over and do you think that 'Exploder' is just a friendly nickname? Seriously, you should dump the truck and buy a used Volvo or Saab 4 door for their high safety standards. Do it for the children.

It was a joke this is my daily to and from work, my wife has a passat we use as the family vehicle.

A common problem why the outside doesn't work is these clips break. 50pcs Door Lock Rod End Retainer Clips for Ford Lincoln | eBay I always keep a few extra in my glove box in case it happens while I am away from home.

The inside latch is either 2 things or a combo of both. First, the door pull wears out. There are nylon gears in the handle mechanism that wear out causing the latch to not push the rod far enough. You can buy replacement handles in the help section of the auto parts store. Next, the push rod itself is poorly designed and not up to the task of pushing, it bends and deflects instead. What I have done is take another thicker metal rod that is almost as long and then zip tie it every inch or two along the length of the stock rod then wrap the whole thing tightly in electrical tape. This helps stiffen it so the push rod can do its job. It is hard to do this inside the door shell but it has really helped.

Before you dive into door repair check these points, 1) Does the door drop when opened? If it does then the hinge pins are worn. 2) Is there a bushing around the striker bolt? If the plastic sleeve is gone the latch isn't closing correctly around the bolt and it may have been moved inward to 'correct' a loose door. If these have occurred it can damage the latch over time and the increased resistance on the latch results in damage to the levers, inside and out. I don't want you to fix the symptom and miss the problem.

Best of Luck

I know this thread is kind of old, and the link in the OP no longer works.
I just went through this today, and the only source i found to try and get one of these clips RIGHT AWAY, was to get
Dorman # 75473 at advanced auto, they had one in stock. It's an assortment, but the yellow/white one was the correct clip for my 94 XLT rear passenger door. When i last replaced the latch, the clip was in rough shape but i couldn't find any of these clips so i just "made it work". It lasted a couple years but gave up the ghost this week.

I think i might order some more, if 1 clip broke then other are prob not far behind. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the part #!
I found some on ebay, but the shipping was WAY too much.
I'll keep looking, really appreciate it

Back